AB SLC 500 question

mbr-dk

Hi

I recently acquired an AB SLC 500 with CPU 1747-L532 5/03, 1746-A7 RACK, 1746-P PSU and software from a friend of mine who works at an automation company and I am planning on using it for automating my home brewery (Beer).

What I want to start with is to do temperature control (PID Ramp/Soak) for two of my kettles, mash tun and hot liquor tank, which are both heated with electrical heating elements (6x 1KW) for measuring the temperature I use PT100 sensors(4).
Today I am controlling them via SSR’s and with individual simple cheap temperature controllers from China. I would also like to be able to turn my boil kettle and pumps on and off via a external button connected to the PLC.

Will the above PLC work for this and what extra cards besides the 1746-NR4 would I need?

I am an Electronics engineer and have done some ladder programming years back, so I would need to do some reading up on ladder programming and the AB SLC 500 – Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks,
Michael

Sounds like you will also need a digital output card to now fire the SSRs.

If you want to read buttons you will also need a digital input module as well.

You can find all for a pittance on Ebay.

You didn't mention anything about an HMI. How are you going to change or alter your settings?

But yes, absolutely more than capable of doing what you need it to do.

Damian thanks for your quick reply, any recommendations for what cards I should get for the digital input and output?

For HMI I have been looking at this http://advancedhmi.com/ as I have an old spare laptop - How would I connect the PC to the PLC for HMI?

Damian thanks for your quick reply, any recommendations for what cards I should get for the digital input and output?

For HMI I have been looking at this http://advancedhmi.com/ as I have an old spare laptop - How would I connect the PC to the PLC for HMI?

As far as IO cards, that will depend in part on the signal side of your SSRs. Hopefully it is just like a 3-30vdc type "coil" on/off relay that you can PWM with a 24VDC output. If you are PWMing I would avoid a relay output.

Same with the inputs. You'll have to decide what voltage to use.

Google "SLC 500 selection guide" and download the PDF. That will show you all the cards available. You'll have to decide what voltage you want, how many point of IO per card (you can even find a combo in/out. Should be able to find a used card dirt cheap.

You can use the RS232 port on the CPU to connect AdvancedHMI. Hopefully you laptop has a genuine serial port. If not, most USB to serial adapters usually work.

SLC 500 communication

Hello could you help me please.
I have 2 CPU SLC 500 5/03 and 5/04, I need connect them with PC,
but I don´t want to use some expensive converters. I have PC with serial port, and want to create my own cable.
I tried cable from PV600 (PIC driver) but it did not work.
There are any other way???

A null-modem cable is all you need to connect to the SLC's serial port. Then use the RS232 DF1 Devices driver in RSLinx.
See PDF pins 2,3 and 5 are all you need.

The serial port on your SLC's will have to be configured for DF1 protocol to use the above driver.

Do you know how the serial ports are configured?

Last edited:
No I don´t know how are the serial ports configure.
I set in RSlinx RS232 DF1devices
configuration
Com 1, Device PLC-CH0,
baut rate 19200, Station number 00, parity none,
error checking BCC, stop bit 1
Protocol full Duplex

I created cable exactly after your pdf, but still no communication,

No I don´t know how are the serial ports configure.
I set in RSlinx RS232 DF1devices
configuration
Com 1, Device PLC-CH0,
baut rate 19200, Station number 00, parity none,
error checking BCC, stop bit 1
Protocol full Duplex

I created cable exactly after your pdf, but still no communication,

Did you click on autoconfigure?

Default error checking is CRC

The serial ports can be configured for DH485 and ASCII, is there any thing connected to the serial ports ( SLC's networked together, this would indicate DH485)?

If they are configured for DH485 then try the 1747-PIC/AIC driver, you need a real serial port for this.

Last edited:
Hello, could you help me please again.
I had PLC Contol Logix, I updated firmaware now it working well.

But if I want communicate with SLC 500, I click autoconfigure in RS linx. it write me "succesful" but I cant to see any icon of SLC 500 in RS Linx, And I can not go online in RSlogix, because I can´t to see the plc in RS linx.

I dont know where can be a probleme, but it doesn´t work since my firmware to contol logix action.
Can you help me?

Yes I know, I use RS Logix 500, but it doesnt solve my problem. way I can not to see icons of SLC 500 in RS linx, but autoconfigure is succesful.