DH455 Network cabel

ArikBY

Can someone explain me what is Belden #3106A or Belden #9842.
I nedd to setup 6 AB PLCs DH485 network.about 1000 ft
Can I use shielded multi cord cabel and what size.
Thanks in advance.

ArikBY,

You may view the details of Belden #3106A or Belden #9842 cables at Belden.com web site.

The Allen-Bradley network needs a 2 conductor cable with shield. The size can be number 16, 18, or 20 American Wire Gage. You may use other brands.

I'm not an expert on serial communication but here's my two cents worth.

If you were running this 3 meters I would say go ahead and use what you want. given your length of run, however, the cable impedence and capacitance will begin to play a significant roll in whether the signal gets through or not. With spec communication cable the parameters that can affect signal propogation and waveform shape are very strictly controlled. The farther you go the more important these become.
It looks to me like the 3100 series cable is intended for a more industrial setting based on its volage rating and jacket construction. The 9800 series stuff looks more like office cable to me. Both appear to have identical transmission characteristics, though.

Keith

Hi, DH485 is NOT a 2 wire system. There is quite extensive documentation on the AB website of what is required. You will need also 6 AIC or Net AIC cards for this network.

Regards Alan Case

Thnks for your reply

I wouldnt awere that Belden is name of manufacturer.
I didnt want to take any risk because it long distence network.
and AB gave that name without any details.
I made it before but not so far.

Thank you all

ArikBY,
Sorry, I did not intend to mis-inform. I thought that you wre setting up an Allen-Bradley Data Highway Plus network, which does only need two conductors with shield. Why are you NOT doing the "DH+" network?