Laser distance sensors-Specifications

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

We are using laser distance sensors outdoors.
The specification sheet says:
Ambient light = constant 5000 lux

Does this mean that this is what we must maintain around the sensor to ensure reliable operation?
As we are outdoors, we would have to shade & light at the same time to achieve this. All easy enough to do. ;)

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences?

Hi,

We are using laser distance sensors outdoors.
The specification sheet says:

Does this mean that this is what we must maintain around the sensor to ensure reliable operation?
As we are outdoors, we would have to shade & light at the same time to achieve this. All easy enough to do. ;)

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences?

I've used laser distance sensors outside without a problem. The device was recessed slightly to protect it and to prevent direct sunlight from hitting it. The device bounced the signal off of a reflector 10-100 feet away. The signal is not intensity dependent so ambient light and changes in ambient light normally does not have an effect. It was a Sick sensor which has always been the leader in lazer scanners.

As a laser uses a set wavelenghth there should be no problem.
I suggest that the ambient specifications are to protect against additional light as this may interfere with the reflected Laser signal.
- As our countries are a bit closer to the equator than USA - Sorry Guys
- we are proned to higher temperatures and longer light periods.

the only issue that I had with outdoor lasers was rain drops causing the laser to change its direction (the light was bent by the water drop). A little bit of an install change and problem never reoccurred.

Thanks for the replies.

the only issue that I had with outdoor lasers was rain drops causing the laser to change its direction (the light was bent by the water drop). A little bit of an install change and problem never reoccurred.

I don't think we will have this issue as the sensors are looking down vertically. What we have experienced is Surface Tension, where it appears water is sticking to the lens surface.

As a laser uses a set wavelenghth there should be no problem.
I suggest that the ambient specifications are to protect against additional light as this may interfere with the reflected Laser signal.
This makes sense, as the ambient light changes so much outdoors in our countries, I wonder if this is not helping us.
Trying to understand this & get some information out of the manufacturer is where we are at just now.

I have had a similar situation in the past with surface tension of water and molecular adhesion. We solved it by wiping the lens with RAIN-X. This is a product available in the U.S that makes water wetter on the windshield of your car. End result, water just rolls off...

Oddly enough, we ruined a number of Sick units by cleaning them with an industrial glass cleaner.

And remember: "Do not loook into Laser with remaining eyeball"

Last edited:
Oddly enough, we ruined a number of Sick units by cleaning them with an industrial glass cleaner.

And remember: "Do not loook into Laser with remaining eyeball"

Anything with ammonia - Simple Green and the like - can cause fogging of polycarbonate plastic. Not sure of the lens material in the average laser scanner, but that's probably what happened.

-rpoet

Anything with ammonia - Simple Green and the like - can cause fogging of polycarbonate plastic. Not sure of the lens material in the average laser scanner, but that's probably what happened.

-rpoet

Oddly enough, you couldn't see any fogging after the lense was cleaned. It looked like it was brand new.

If they layed out a ruined one next to a new one, I would be hard-pressed to pick out which was which.

I have been using LASER beam sensors, and i have never faced the problem of ambient light.. moreover LASER light is high intensity, focused beam and the ambient conditions mentioned in the datasheet are far more than real conditions.. I have been using Optex(japan) sensors and they work wonderful..

Hmm, we used something as a test, am trying to get more details of it to see what it contains. :oops:
There was a difference, but moreso in what it did to the water on the lens, instead of pooling, it created droplets. We had catered for this by purging the face of the sensor with compressed air.

I have been using LASER beam sensors, and i have never faced the problem of ambient light.. moreover LASER light is high intensity, focused beam and the ambient conditions mentioned in the datasheet are far more than real conditions.. I have been using Optex(japan) sensors and they work wonderful..
Ok, interesting comments from all.

Our application is outdoors, looking at a surface that is not consistent. It has different reflectivity & sometimes pooled water, this is the part that we seem to be struggling with to get consistent readings.