Radio Modem to transmit 4-20 mA.

godfrey

I'm looking for app help where the spec requires a remotely mounted disolved Ozone instrumnet that transmits its value over radio. I have the instrument. Isthere a radio modem that can take a 4-20 in, transmit it over radio and then demodulate at the other end back to a 4-20? So far my search has only turned up serial and ethernet devices. Thanks.

Either radio

Either radio will work. What will happen is that the 4-20 ma signal will need be turned into a digital number. This number is transmitted with the radio that fits your architecture. After being transmitted it will be converted to an analog signal. What you will need is the translator. Usually it is a PLC on each end or a device that the PLC will utilize such as a remote I/O module.

I haven't had the need for something that is specifically for that function of doing that process as its only purpose so for an answer to your question of is there a radio that does just that...not sure.

If we knew how the originating device is mounted and terminated and what the receiving device is we could give you a better answer.

1) Phoenix Contact 1 way "trusted wireless" is called the 'electrician's radio' because it's wired-in/wired-out. What you wire in, 4-20mA, comes out the other end as 4-20mA.
No setup, no PC, just wire it and it works (presuming the signal gets through)
Unfortunately, their recent web redesign produces thousand character URL's, (preposterous):
http://www.phoenixcontact.com/onlin...id=2867021&library=usen&pcck=P-08-02-03-01-02

If the link breaks, search for
Wireless module - RAD-ISM-900-SET-AC-UD - 2867021

2) Banner Engineering has I/O radio but it needs some setup and minor mapping to put the AI on the node end at a specific AO on the gateway end. The "Performance" line is 1 watt, 900MHz like Phoenix Contact.

Bannerengineering.com

Churchill Controlls nano link also do very similer to the Phoenix contact device above. What goes in is what comes out the other end.