Softstarter -25C to 50C

Karsten

Hello,

Having a hard time to find a Softstarter for a 11kW motor to be used in low temperature -25C to 50C.

Any ideas?

Put Inverter (VFD) inside the box. Insulate box by Polyurethane, add Rittal's heater inside the box and don't forget the cooler if ambient temp. really is +50.
Finally You have soft starter, soft stopper and variable speed !
On right wall has small heating unit (gray one). On left wall have thermostats for heating, ventilation and interlocking for VFD's supply.
Under -10, electrolytic capacitors can explode, so use Vacon or ABB VFD, others are their "copy".

07042011982 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
About the low temperature, I agree that you can install a thermostat and heater in the panel.

About the high temperature, 50 degr. C is high but not exceptionally high. In case that the 50 degr. is the exception rather than then norm (*), then a simpler fix than installing a cooler is to derate all equipment inside the panel, i.e. select at least one dimension larger than the nominal size for the load. The mmanufacturers often have recommendations as to how much the equipment must be derated.
I would also consider to avoid any heat-generating equipment inside the panel. Use a direct 400VAC to 24VDC PSU without the typical transformer in between. Choose sofstarters with integral bypass. Use a modern PLC, and not a legacy PLC. Etc...

*: Almost all equipment can operate at 50-60 degr. C. What happens is merely that the equipment age faster than normally. Not so important if the high temperature is an exception to the normal operation.

Well the problem is the -25C and I can not use heaters. It is a mobile aplication. The Vehicle moves without power to the soft starter. Then it stops, connects to external power and the motor is started. So I can not use heaters.......

Basically, if you cannot use heaters then you cannot use electronic softstarters. All manufacturers of softstarters use commercial grade integrated circuits in their control cards and these are only rated for 0 degrees C or 32 degrees F. The same is true for VFD's.