simocode overload setting ?

panthripu

We have some motors being controlled by simocode.SimocodeES shows rated current of the motor and motor details but i can not see how to see/know the overload setting of the motor. At what current the motor will trip ? Can someone explain ?

simocode overload setting

No answers? It seems I didnot ask right question. I wanted to know if the curves given for different classes are same for all type of simocode (10-100A or 20-200A or 63-630A).
Is there anyway to set a trip current below full load current ?

does it mean that in the set current Is1 we can give any current even if the full load current is something else.
For example if the full load current of the motor is 80A and if use 60A as Is1 with class 10 , then motor will trip at 360A at 10s.Correct?

The trip class is an I^2t curve between the pick-up point, usually 115-125% of the Set current (the Simocode is 115%), below which it never trips and 600% of the Set current, then a time value at the 600% level. So Class 10 = 10 sec, Class 20 = 20 sec, Class 30 = 30 sec etc.

If you have a motor with a FLC of 80A and you set the Class 10 OL trip level to 60A, it would trip at 360A in 10 seconds, but at 70A it will also eventually trip, even though your motor is not fully loaded. So that would be a waste of motor, you may well have just used a smaller one.

If you want a trip level based on current that is NOT associated with the OL protection curve, let's say for mechanical jam detection/protection, then use the Over CURRENT trip protection function, not the over LOAD. That function is a simple upper limit, with or without a time delay, and ignores everything below that.

Thank you very much Mr.Jraef for you reply.

Let us take for example the attached motor data sheet and we would like to make over load setting in SIMOCODE:

1- The FLC is 112 A @ 400 V, so the IS1= 20A in SIMOCODE.
There's no any interposing CT used.

2- Glass ? please help to calculate the class for this motor

3- The response for unblance will be Trip, please advise ?

Please help to make the issue more clear.

Many thanks for help inadvance

PGB Motor.jpg

Thank you very much Mr.Jraef for you reply.

Let us take for example the attached motor data sheet and we would like to make over load setting in SIMOCODE:

1- The FLC is 112 A @ 400 V, so the IS1= 20A in SIMOCODE.
There's no any interposing CT used.

2- Glass ? please help to calculate the class for this motor

3- The response for unblance will be Trip, please advise ?

Please help to make the issue more clear.

Many thanks for help inadvance
I do not understand why you think you would set the current for 20A if the FLC of the motor is 122A. You set the OL current for the motor nameplate FLC, the Simocode does the rest for you. It's not that difficult. If your Simocode only goes to 20A, then you either have the wrong unit, or someone INTENDED for it to be used with a CT. If the latter, then you would chose a CT ratio, divide the motor FLC by the ratio and set that in the relay setting instead. So if you used a 400:5 CT ratio, that is 80:1, so you divide 122 by 80 and set to OL setting in the Simocode to 1.53A

The OL class is not something you calculate, it is what the motor mfr says it needs. 90% of IEC design motors require Class 10, a few submersible pumps might need Class 5, very rarely will you need class 20, unless it is a NEMA motor design for use in North America.

Have you talked to Siemens about this, have you asked for some training? I used to work there, that's why I am familiar with it. But quite frankly, they stopped paying me to care about 6 years ago... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry Sir, this was typo mistake, 122 FLC shall be used, but I need your help to how to calculate the trip class for the above mentioned motor.

Many thanks and sorry for inconvenience.