Connect thru IP to serial port...

riahc3

Hello.

I downloaded this software on my PC http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html and I want to use it to connect to a serial port on a device that has a IP.

I have a NetModule NB1600 which has 2 LAN ports and D I/O RS-232 input/outputs. They are connected to a regulator (RexRoth) which is connected to a servomotor. When I try to connect to the NB1600's IP address, I hear a click from either the regulator or the servomotor, Im not sure.

Since the connection doesnt work, we used a oscilloscope to analize the serial outputs from the NB1600. When we try to connect, we see a output signal coming out from the I/O so the IP to serial connection does exist but it does not stay open.

The software Im using is above and DriveTop.

If more information is needed or something isnt clear, Ill try to clear it up.

Thank you very much.

Not being familiar with a Rexroth regulator, I have to ask some questions.

What software does the Rexroth regulator respond to when you address it through its IP address? What does the software do? Configure it? Provide a setpoint? Please explain.

The description you provide for the other ports is "D I/O RS-232 input/outputs". What sort of I/O data is carried on the RS-232 ports as output; as inputs?

The link you provide is for software which claims to be a driver that adds a virtual serial port (e.g. COM5) to the Windows operating system which redirects the data from the COM 5 port via a TCP/IP network to another hardware interface, which is specified by its IP address and port number.

Is there some reason that you think that providing I/O data that would normally be sent to or received from the serial port should go to an IP address?

What software are you using to send the I/O data to the IP address?

Just because communications ports are available, doesn't mean that the com port supports the functionality you want. The com port supports the functionality the manufacturer provides in the device's firmware/software.

Does the IP addressed port support the functionality you are attempting to initiate? How do you know that?

The Rexroth regulator can only be accessed thru a serial interface (RS-232). That is the reason I use a Virtual Serial Port emulator on my PC to access that interface via IP but emulating it as a serial port.

From the NB1600 we dont know what kind of I/O is given but from the Rexroth regulator, when a pure serial connection is made, it recieves parameters from a program called Indramat DriveTop and those are directly transfered to the servomotors.

The reason I think this is because it is suppose to emulate a real serial connection.

The software Im using to send that I/O information is DriveTop. It connects via this emulated serial port.

The rest of the question I do not have answers for.

I have to comment that any PLC question you may have, Ill have to ask a colleague as I just configure the network. PLC experts are other colleagues around me. So please, slow questions as I have no idea about PLCs :) Thank you very very much