Kinetix 350 Problems

cmac2425

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have wired up a Kinetix 350 motion drive with a TLY-230P-BJ62AA servo motor. I am getting an error FC05, which by Rockwell literature says, The battery voltage on a battery-backed motor
encoder is low enough such that a power loss
has caused the absolute position to no longer be
available. The battery is brand new, installed correctly, and is still giving off 3.665 volts. Anyone familiar with these motion drives know why this problem might be occurring?

On the second drive, I am getting an error code of F45. Rockwell says it means, The number of consecutive missed or corrupted
serial data packets from the feedback device has
exceeded a factory set limit. The motor wiring is a quick connect and I double checked the feedback wiring and everything is correct per the Rockwell documentation. Any other suggestions as to why my drive continues to fault? Thanks in advance for your help.

We had a problem on only one out of many Kinetix 300 where we could not clear the battery fault even though it was a new battery/installation and everything was hooked up properly. The issue eventually cleared up on it own after the power was cycled several times. We never did find root cause.

Since both your issues involved the feeback on both drives, maybe check and make sure that servo #1s encoder didn't get swapped with servo #2s encoder.

This probably won't help but: I just finished a project with a Kinetix 350 and MPL motor combo. Initially I had problems with the connection because I incorrectly assumed the rubber O ring on the connector belonged there. Apparently with it in place the connector doesn't make reliably.

They are the exact same motor and the exact same drive so I assume they have the exact same encoders and switching would have no effect (I Hope!).

I have had instances where the electrician mixed up the cables and had the power cable from motor A and feedback cable from motor B and vice-versa. Sometimes the error messages you get can be misleading.

When you say you get F45 on both, is it following the motor or the drive? If you swap the just the batteries does it follow the battery or the motor?

We use the same motor on the K300 and we hook it up like in page 12. See attached.

I will check the wiring and try swapping the batteries, the motors and the leads. I will post again tomorrow what my findings are as this should take a while.

I also tried a MAFR in contrologix, but then F06 comes up as an error which is just another battery error, so I'm ignoring it. It presently has just the F06 error but the module is still in error mode.

I had done all of the swapping and I found that the battery terminal was loose on one of them. I have no errors anymore, just waiting to try to figure out how to make all of the flashing green lights solid green. One drive has just eh axis light flashing, the other drive has flashing module and axis green lights. All I did was copy the one drive so I must find the problems and/or difference between the two drives. The next step would be to get the flashing green axis light to be solid green?

I have made both drives work and everything is working properly. I have the one servo motor spinning, haven't tried the 2nd yet. Thanks for all your help. I just wish there was sample code for getting started with motion in compactlogix as this is brand new and I don't have time to go to training but yet I waste it at my office trying to figure this stuff out. If you have any suggestions on where they might hide some sample code, I would be greatly appreciative...thanks.

If I recall, there was some useful stuff in the Knowledgebase regarding the new 'integrated motion' stuff. I know for sure that there was one for doing Kinetix motion from the ML processors and am pretty sure it exists for the Logix stuff.

I bought the trainer and have found the integrated motion material. Thank you guys for helping me out, you've been great resources. I have everything working on my first drive. I copy/pasted everything over to the second drive as it is the exact same setup. Motor, drive, wiring, etc...My only problem is that I get a blinking green light on the second drive for module status and I get a -03- on the screen flashing before the IP. The documentation says DC bus charging, which to me makes no sense that a DC bus has to charge for the drive to be operational. Do you guys have any suggestions for this problem? Once I get this figured out, hopefully I am out of your hair haha!

You will definitely want to confirm it with Rockwell, but if it is stuck in "Charging" it is likely the charging circuit is damaged or something is wrong with the voltage doubler circuit. Do a quick check to see what the incoming AC measures as well as the DC bus voltage.