Siemans S7 300 networking

Controls Guy

What is a preferred method of establishing an ethernet network to gather data from Siemans S7 300 used on Nabertherm furnaces? I am looking at connecting 19 furnaces to 1 display to show furnace cycle data from any of the 19. I would be interested in listening to any proven methods that you are familiar with.

Thanks.

Is Ethernet a prerequisite ?

It is definitely possible to use CP343's, but it appears to me to be a bit costly compared to just connecting all the S7-300's into a MPI network via their integral MPI port. MPI is quite potent, it can be cranked up to 1.5 MBaud with no problems at all.
Ethernet will provide more performance, but do you need that ?
Compare the cost for 1 PCI MPI card (CP5611) with 19 S7 Ethernet cards (CP343).
You can also do away with Ethernet switches etc.
Only limitation: The entire network must not exceed 50 meters (unless expanded with one or several repeaters).

Yes 50m, I know it too form manuals. But in real life, how it work under impacting of distance.
I need for connect 6 nodes. 1 node->15m->2 node->50m->3 node->50m->4node->5m->5node->5m->6node. I know I must use repeater, but where I must to place ones.

Between two repeaters you get the high specifications that are the same as Profibus:
187.5 kBaud = 800 meter/segment.
1.5 MBaud = 200 meter/segment.
12 MBaud = 100 meter/segment.

If there is a S7-300 without repeater in a segment, then that segment is limited to 50 meter.

It seems that you should put a repeater in the two places in your network where you have a distance of 50 meter.

In "real life" it could be gambled that the network would work without repeaters. But that wouldnt be professional. The repeaters arent that expensive.