Looking for stand-alone analog output card

dumpsta

Good Morning

I was wondering if there are any standalone devices that can simulate as a plc analog output card. It would be a digital version of a potentiometer. This would be for a motor controller.

I'm thinking, 2 outputs from a plc to either step up or down voltage or current.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help

Any single loop PID controller with a current (4-20mA) or voltage (0-5Vdc) output AND with a manual/auto mode will do what it sounds like you want.

In manual mode, the device's output, which ranges from 0-100%, is fixed. It moves only when adjusted by keyboard input, up or down.

Many of the smaller 1/32 DIN or 1/16 DIN controllers don't have an auto/manual key, one has to go into the setup to go into manual mode.

Ironically, I ran into this on Monday and picked up a Honeywell UDC 2500 to make sure that it can be locked in manual mode so that it can't be popped back into auto by someone playing with the keys. It can.

Single loop controllers typically only have one output. A 2nd output on a UDC can be configured to 'follow' the first output, but I'm not sure that that's what is needed for your app.

Many motor controllers or variable frequency drives include this feature, calling it a "Motor Operated Potentiometer" function. The drive accepts a discrete pulse as a "increase speed 0.X Hz" or "decrease speed 0.X Hz" command.

I don't have specific recommendations on this, but your search term is going to be "M.O.P. Simulator" or "Electronic M.O.P". Once I weeded out the actual mops, Carotron came up as a vendor of a DIN-rail mount unit.

Does your PLC controller have a high-speed output feature ? You could use a Frequency to Analog signal conditioner like the 8500 series from Calex.

Thank you very much

The motor controller had a electronic motorized potentiometer controller. The wiring diagram still showed a physical potentiometer so I just ignored that configuration.

My orignal thinking was to just use a number of preset speeds so I chose the preset speeds configuration.

Thanks again

in another thread there is a nice one for mA and V with a potmeter and a lm317 .
but if you want only a few settings then you can use a multiswitch with some resistors.