Password Protect 5000 Ver 20.

Mark Buskell

Does anyone know of a method to protect the CPU and will not upload unless someone knows the secret password? I don't want some key file sitting on a server somewhere or my computer crashing and losing the key. One of the other engineers may need to call up the program from home one night.
What I am trying to do is prevent unauthorized users from being able to view or upload the code. I have spent the last hour looking at the AB knowledge base and cannot find the answer. They keep mentioning v20 has this and that feature about security but it is not exactly what I am trying to do.

V19 use to have a slick setup that was just a username & password. V20 went to FactoryTalk Security that is pretty much a nightmare that integrates with Windows security. You should be able to theoretically make a generic factory talk login, and have everyone login to that account when making changes or want access to the PLC. (Should be that simple but I have not had the time to play with it, note make the generic account have access or admin rights to the controller.)

I think you can just lock AOI (add ons). The only downside is that you can not make live updates to AOI. I don't remember if you can also lock UDT (user data type), but same thing no live updates with it.

Did you install all the RSLogix 5000 tools? There is one called Logix CPU Security Tool that does exactly what you are looking for.

CPU Security Tool for RSLogix 5000 stopped working after version 19. So the new processors can't use it. (It's in the latest batch of manuals, '1769 CompactLogix Controllers, Revision 20'. - "The Logix CPU security tool does not work with V20 controllers." Page 11)

I will try to contact A-B in the next couple of days and see if they have an answer. I remember that in the past you could type a password into the SLC's for example and it would prevent most people from being able to open the ladder code.