Solenoid Valve

geigerr

I got assigned a project at work, and I need to build an automated instrument. I will need the ability to open and close solenoid valves at certain time intervals. I need detailed advice on what I am going to need and how to do it. Thanks.:ROFLMAO:

Geigerr,

I would look at using a "smart relay" (stripped-down PLC) with built-in internal timer instructions and output contacts that can be used to turn on the solenoids.

This site works sort of like a computer: If you put details in, you get detailed answers. If you put broad ideas in, you will get broad generic answers. What other would be possible without guessing?

To get more detail, you will have to specify:
What is the voltage and current load of your solenoids (solenoid brand and catalog number would be useful)?
How many solenoids?
How many time intervals, and how long for each one?
Are there any other functions that must be done by this automated instrument?

All the above answers are needed to specify a smart relay that has the right voltage and the right number of outputs and the right number of timer instructions with the correct intervals.

Last edited:
How many solenoids? What voltage do they need and what current will they draw? Are there any other devices needed? Answer those questions and you can start selecting a controller for the project. As Lancie suggested, a smart relay may be adequate for the task. You might also want to take a look at the Click PLC line from Automation Direct. Inexpensively priced and the programming software is free.