ET200S 151-8 Losing configuration

mustbemad10

I'm not quite sure what is happening to my 151-8.
I am trying to create a project for it and when I assign a static IP and a name it loses the configuration when there is a power cycle.

I can change the IP and name, and it stores this information (I can see it in accessible nodes, and edit Ethernet nodes with the new config). But as soon as I cycle the power, the data is lost, and is reset back to its MAC address only.

Am I missing something silly on the setup of this module?

Currently I don't have any I/O attached to it and has an MMC in it so it can store the config settings.

Any advice would be great!

That does sound very strange.
You have a Siemens MMC card in the CPU, and you have transferred the IP address by the HW Config, or by the Primary Setup Tool ?
And you have done this before on another CPU, it is not a beginner error (I have to ask) ?
You can transfer blocks to the CPU after you set the IP address ?
If so, I am guessing either the CPU or the MMC is defective.

Jeebs - Ram to Rom? How do you mean? I'm not sure what you mean.

Jesper - I haven't downloaded a project to the 151-8, I just used the "edit ethernet nodes" option to assign the name and IP.
Would downloading the Hardware config sort this?

I will give it a shot and see what happens.

You have to transfer a HW Config. When you transfer a HW Config to the CPU, it will ask to set the IP - just say yes to that - and allow it to download the full HW Config.

RAM-to-ROM should be used when you want to safeguard the actual values of all DBs.

PLC > Copy Ram to Rom.

Just a hint: When working on a new setup, new PLC, the very first thing you download is the HWConfig.

I've tried downloading the HWConfig and assigning a name and IP, but after a power cycle the settings have been lost.

I've tried a different MMC card, and has made no difference.

Any further ideas guys?!

I haven't got any I/O or anything next to the CPU, would it make any difference if some I/O was there? Or even an S7 CPU connected to it somehow?

I've tried downloading the HWConfig and assigning a name and IP, but after a power cycle the settings have been lost.
When you download a HW Config, you do not specify a name. The name is set in the CPU properties.
So I think you are doing something else.

Open the HW Config of the Project.
Set the IP+Subnet+Gateway adress in the CPU Properties (change the name if you need to, but it is not critically important unless you use Profinet i/o).
edit: I forgot to say, remember to use from the menu Station ... Save and Compile.
Then from the menu chose PLC ... Download.

Last edited:
I connected the 151-8 to some I/O - and made sure the terminator block was installed and everything seems ok now!

I think it was due to the terminating block not being in place that caused the error. But strange how the 151-8 would not store any of its configuration just because the end block wasn't there!

Thanks for the help Jesper :)