Error 33, LCD RAM FAILED on PanelView

Tim James

I got an Error 33 on a PanelView Micro 300. This is the "LCD RAM failed" message. Just wondering if anyone has every successfully recovered from this error? The normal reset tricks won't work. Does anyone know exactly what chip in the device this error is referring to? I actually managed to open this 'non-serviceable' model without destroying it (I've recovered a couple of thrown out HMIs by replacing the non-replaceable RTC battery). Seems like the error code is referring to the 256k x 16 CMOS 4MB DRAM chip in the device (seems like this kind of memory would be utilized in a display based on my limited knowledge of RAM). The chip can be picked up online for a few bucks, and I'm decent at PCB soldering. Just wondering if anyone has gone to these kind of lengths to repair one of these buggers. It was thrown out as irreparable, so I figure if I can spend a few bucks and a little time to fix it I got another functional HMI to throw at a personal project at some point, plus I hate waste. They go for over $200 used on ebay so I figure it's worth it. Thanks.

Tim

For a few dollars and a bit of your time I say go for it.

But that is coming from a guy who is a self confessed pack rat and has no less than
sixteen such projects staring at me. This is the guy who saved one of those heavy travelling sprinklers from the landfill over a year ago, and I finally got a few hours use from the thing just last week.

I dug out the JB weld and repaired a broken worm drive/water tube for free. Of course I don't count the hours polishing it with a dremel tool to make it fit back together. After a few hours, though, it proved to be too leaky (after I gorilla glued beyond further dis-assembly).

Now, after it decorates my lawn for a few more weeks it will be returned to its true home, the home of most PV300 micros in the near future...where the seagulls find a year round meal...

Paul