PLC <=> OPC <=> Windows Aplication

AlexKur

Hello everybody. I have some questions to best PLC community.

My new costumer want to control some equipment with his own windows application. And he asked to transfer data from/to PLC via NET/IP

I'm not familiar with PC side, just don't want loos like an idiot...

For my understanding i can use chain OPC <=> PLC to pull/push Data between PC & PLC. But I'm not sure can he use OPC data in his application?

If ^^^^ that is right. What you can suggest for me to use . He have some MicroLogix PLC's. Some DirectLogic PLC's. Simantec. What OPC software you can recommend for me to use?

For AB controllers I would use any licensed copy of RSLinx Classic running as a service.
It's been around for a while and it "talks Rockwell".

I have used KEPware for a couple of projects and it worked well. They seem to have drivers for evertyhing.

The one we use is Topserver from SoftwareToolbox. Exactly the same as Kepware if i remember correctly.

What i liked about Topserver driver was that you were able to Browse the Tags from within Topserver to the PLC. Not sure if Kepware driver is the same.

Rheinhardt

>use chain OPC <=> PLC to pull/push Data between PC & PLC

I don't know what net/IP is, but if it isn't an OPC client, then something is missing here; an OPC client.

Kepware and TopServer are OPC servers. I don't know what RSLinx has or doesn't have for OPC.

An OPC server is tasked with talking to the field device (using a specific driver) and communicating with an OPC client. An OPC client resides as a component of HMI/SCADA software on the PC (for that matter, so does the OPC server).

An OPC client gets the field data and then hands it over to the HMI/SCADA software for display or history

The chain needs to be:
PLC <=> OPC server <=> OPC Client <=> PC's HMI/SCADA software

If the PC's Windows' application has no OPC client component, then the PLC data remains stranded in the OPC server.

Yes, there is some limited 'feedback' display built into an OPC server, but probably not what the customer is expecting.

Last edited:
Kepware response

Alex,

You will need to find out if the client (PC software) is OPC capable. From there, Kepware offers an Allen Bradley suite for their multiple protocols.

Has a client been selected by your customer yet?

Manuals for AB's suite can be found on our web site through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepwaredownloads.htm

You can also download a fully functional version with run time limitation from our web site to try, from the same link.

We are a Kepware distributor, so if you have any additional questions feel free to ask.

Last edited: