Flip-Flop using bits

Hey everybody, I know there are already numerous threads out about this push button flip-flop thing but I haven't seen any yet that discuss bit addresses.
I am working on a little project for work and I have come up with 3 seperate push buttons to start 3 seperate patterns of 6 blinking lights. I have programmed this using 3 timers, one for each pattern, and limits on those timers to tell when the lights should blink. They can each run through their respected patterns once, or if I turn on a selector switch I allow the patterns to cycle by itself until that same push button is pressed to stop it(at least that's what is supposed to happen). I also used a one-shot to a UTL to latch the bit that starts the timer. When the timer is DN it unlatches the bit(for the single cycle) or resets the timer(for the endless cycle), depending on which state the selector switch is in.
And that's where I am getting stuck. I have made everything work except make the push buttons stop their own patterns. The only way I can stop the cycle is to turn off/on the selector switch.
So what I am looking for is a way to have the push buttons be a start and stop button for each of their own light patterns with the latches, bits, etc that I mentioned.
Thank you for your help.

What are you programming with?

5k doesn't have a flip flop, so you would do better using a counter that can for the most parts acts like a flip flop (0 - off, 1 - on, 2 - rst).

What are you programming with?

5k doesn't have a flip flop, so you would do better using a counter that can for the most part act like a flip flop (0 - off, 1 - on, 2 - rst).

I know there are already numerous threads out about this push button flip-flop thing but I haven't seen any yet that discuss bit addresses.
A flip-flop routine will work just as well with "bit addresses" as with a push button. The trigger method is not relevant except that it needs to be a momentary pulse function of some type. I have successfully triggered alternator logic with a bit that stayed on or off for several minutes.

Anyway, it appears to me that you NEED an alternator method that does use a pushbutton trigger (your START button). Push once, it runs a pattern. Push again, it stops that pattern. Otherwise you need to use an additional STOP button.

Post your existing work as a JPG or PDF file and someone will help you with this. You can search for "ALTERNATOR METHODS.pdf" here:

http://www.plcs.net/downloads/index...ey&PHPSESSID=4958e619fddaeba3b93fdbd1e3ffcb6d

Last edited: