Measure DiffPressure

Theboss

Hi guys, i'm not too sure of how would a purge system work when measuring diff pressure. does the purge system keep the impulse lines clean, can someone elaborate further as to its principal operation??? tnx in advance

I think you need to add some more detail.
I for one, have no idea of the system you are looking for help on.
Providing more detail regarding the process would help in your getting an answer.

A purge systems principal operation is t flush electrical control equipment with clean air before it is turned on.

Have you a blower application you need specific answers for?

its a dp cell measuring pressure across a selox(classifier) and the impulse lines are getting blocked, so i know of a purge system that is used to keep the lines clear of blockages, using compressed air, being purged continuously through a variable air regulator / flow meter ???

Last edited:
its a dp cell measuring pressure across a selox(classifier) and the impulse lines are getting blocked, so i know of a purge system that is used to keep the lines clear of blockages, using compressed air, being purged continuously through a variable air regulator / flow meter ???

I'm sorry but I really don't understand the question you are asking.

You know of a purge system. What is your question? Do you need to know how to design such a system?

Last edited:
If you're talking about purging the DP impulse lines to keep them from clogging, then there is a means of doing so.

The images below are generally for purging impulse lines across an orifice plate, attached to orifice flange unions, and some graphics refer to flow transmitters, but the concept is identical for measuring across a filter.

The text recommends "constant flow" regulators (also known as differential regulators), not constant pressure regulators.

210wy2e.jpg

1ny17d.jpg

k524nd.jpg

30x7wqg.jpg

Hi Dan, this is exactly what I'm looking for, if possible can you forward me an electronic copy of the manual you quoted or a download link would be great, thank you, really appreciate your efforts.

For the most part, those are images I scanned and saved from older instrumentation books.

The first graphic is from Dwyer Instrument's model RKA differential regulator installation sheet.

The text (h) Purging and graphic (pg 71) are from the same book, a relatively rare book in the US, Installation of Instrumentation and Process Control Systems, EEUA Handbook No. 34, 1973, published for Engineering Equipment Users Association by Constable & Company, Ltd.

I can't recall where the 4th graphic, pg 223, came from.

A discussion of continuous purging vs blast purging is attached.

is it still possible to use a purge system with pressures of -1 to -3kpa across a dp?
Yes, if the purge pressure is sligltly "higher". Where the purge would interfere with a correct reading, you need a switching contactor that cuts purge solenoid off for some time period while a process pressure reading is being made.