electrical question more of a code ?

spidermonkey

I know this is not really the place to ask this but I have been looking and looking in the code book and I have found nothing.

I have a guy I work with that likes to tie different size wires in to existing curcuits. I need to find a code to say that you can't do this

Per NEC ie USA code all conductors must have ampacity equal to or greater than protection ie fuse or breaker.

In very long wire runs to minimize voltage drop larger conductor is required. A 1000 foot run for a 16 amp load would require 20 amp fuses and normally a #12 conductor (nominally) - however because of length #10 or #8 may be required.

There is an exception for feeders but that is another thing and not appropriate to this question I think.

You can always use larger wire than required of course BUT never smaller.

Dan Bentler

I have a guy I work with that likes to tie different size wires in to existing curcuits. I need to find a code to say that you can't do this
You probably will not find a code that specifically prohibits using different sizes of wires. The truth is that wires can and are made different sizes for different reasons, such as voltage losses over long distances. Sometimes a company or vendor does not stock certain sizes, so the next largest size has to be used. Going larger than needed to handle the load on the wire is almost always accepted by codes (an exception that comes to mind is the max size that can be connected to a ground rod). Going smaller is not.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a code reference to minimum size and ampacity try:

210.19 Branch-Circuit Ratings

I have one of those guys working for me, also. "Whats wrong with that, it works doesn't it" ;)

You may have to give a little bit more info. Do you mean 2 different size wires terminated together? Maybe into a terminal block or lug?
George

The CB or fuse rating must be greater than or equal to the smallest wire size in the circuit.

I can't quote the NEC section from memory but look under branch circuit overcurrent protection, maybe art 230or 240.