Mixing Voltages

mflaugh

We are in the process of designing equipment for Korea. The customer's supply voltage is 380V, 60 Hz. The motors on this equipment will be driven from VFDs. To keep our costs down and more readily find the motors, we are considering using motors wound for 460V. These motors are small (<20 Hp) and generally do not work at full load.

Other than the problem of sourcing replacement parts overseas, is there any concerns I am missing about supplying 460V motors?

I assume that the VFDs can provide the 460V output to run the motors just like they would if they were installed in the US.

VFDs can only provide up to the voltage put into them, so hook them up to 380V and the max you get out is 380V. This will throw off the V/Hz ratio for the motors which want 460V @ 60 Hz, or 380V @ 49.5Hz. You'll either have to program the drives so that they keep the correct V/Hz ratio at 380V or source the correct motors for the region.

You're doing the customer a disservice as they will probably have a hard time sourcing 460V NEMA motors in Korea.

You could also install a step-up transformer to bring the 380V up to 460.

what about the government restrictions on what you can ship?
there are restricted items.
the plc processor being one of them. there are customs requirements. what about the korean manufacturing requirements? haven't dealt with those, just asking.

regards,
james