controlling outputs from another PLC

realolman

I have a machine where there are 3 PLCs on a little ethernet network of their own. There are ControlLogix and MicroLogix controllers on the network. I can talk to any of the PLCs with RSLogix from one port.

I need to turn outputs from one PLC on and off using the inputs from another PLC

How can I do dat?

thank you

If both PLC's are control logix, it should be fairly easy, read Produced/consumed tags in the Help sections.

For Micro, I do not know is there any easier way

Regards

As Chavak says, you can use consumed/produced bits if the PLC's are ControlLogix, and then for the Micro's you can set up message instructions.

If you do a search on here there will be plenty of tips for setting up your message instructions either as a read or a write.

Mark

I am sorry I was mistaken... the PLC with the inputs is a
1769-L23E-QB1 CompactLogix 5323E-QB1 controller

and the PLC that has the outputs is a
1756-L61 ControlLogix5561 Controller

I am aware that I can read the help and search the forum....and I am quite willing to do that... but I was hoping that perhaps someone would be willing to help me with the problem a bit more directly.

Within the ControlLogix RSL5K Online application file Project Tree, beneath the 1756 EtherNet/IP bridge, add the CompactLogix controller's EtherNet/IP port (or , if using a dedicated 1769 module, first add the bridge and then the CompactLogix controller) and its relevant I/O hardware configuration.
If using RSL5K Rev.16 or older you will have to edit the RSL5K application Project Tree Offline and then download it to the CLX controller.
Once done, within the CLX RSL5k Online application file, browse the newly edited Ethernet network and ensure the CLX controller "sees" all the relevant CompactLogix system components.
If there are no "yellow" triangles attached to the CompactLogix system's components it means that you have established a ControlLogix backplane -> EtherNet/IP -> CompactLogix backplane connection.
Once there, you could use any CompactLogix Inputs within your ControlLogix application presuming your CLX "owns" the CompactLogix relevant Input modules.
Also, your CLX could "listen" to any CompactLogix Output modules (the XIC or XIO of the CompactLogix output tags will functionally update if used within your ControLogix application).
In order to Produce/Consume data between the two controllers, you will have to also edit the CompactLogix RSL5K application file by adding the ControlLogix system similarly to the way you have added the CompactLogix system to the ControLogix one.
Once the two systems could "see" each other you will have to create Produced Type Tags within the data originating controller tag database and identically spelled, of the same Size and Data Type Consumed Type Tags within the data arrival controller tag database.
This mechanism will transfer data from the Producing controller to the Consuming one at user defined RPI.

Last edited:
Just to add

If you have installed the "Start Page" there is a video in it explaining how to configure Produced/Consumed tags [at least in V19]

Take note these tags can only be created in offline mode!

Regards
_______