How to connect a Siemens S7-400 CPU to a SQL database

Frans Larkins

We are starting a project using a Siemens S7-400 CPU and must write data to a SQL server. We are also running a WinCC Server. Can the WinCC server connect to the SQL database or must we run separate OPC software to make a connection?

Thanks for the reply. The SQL database that the data needs to be stored in is running on a Seperate Ethernet link to our IT Network. I am not sure how we will get the data into their server. They want me to write into their database and create a new record each time? Do you perhaps have an idea on how to do it?

It is called "Taglogging" in WinCC v6-v7.
I am sure that WinCC can write to a separate SQL database. You have to read the manuals (!).

I only have superficial knowledge about WinCC v6-v7 so I dont know about in details.

There's no built in/standard functionality to connect to a 3rd party SQL.
But using the scripting system/options, you can connect to a 3rd party SQL to read/write.

We used 'simple' VB scripts to connect and exchange data.