Siemens S7/TIA: How do I connect an HMI and a Laptop to PLC?...

Mas01

Sorry for the basic question:
At the moment, the PLC [S7-1200] is connected to a laptop (contains TIA Portal) via the ethernet port.
When I add an HMI, where will that plug into? If it needs the ethernet port on the PLC, do I need to disconnect the laptop?
Thanks

That will work well but if it is for home/testing use any ethernet switch will do!
Also, any industrial switch will work as well (Moxa, Phoenix, etc).

That will work well but if it is for home/testing use any ethernet switch will do!
Also, any industrial switch will work as well (Moxa, Phoenix, etc).

Cool, this is just for prototype development so any old switch will do.
Our IT dept might have a few old ones kicking around. Thanks

Hi,

if you have 2 Ethernet ports on the SIEMENS 1200 PLC you could connect 1 port to the HMI and the other to your laptop.

This strategy is good for testing but it limits the amount of devices you can have since you do not have more ports but if you do not have a switch around this is the way.

Best Regards
Konstantin Kolev

Ah, thanks, so something like this, for example:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/network-hubs/6665271

That's the exact switch that I like to use in panels. They're half the price at Parmley Graham though!

Hi,

if you have 2 Ethernet ports on the SIEMENS 1200 PLC you could connect 1 port to the HMI and the other to your laptop.

This strategy is good for testing but it limits the amount of devices you can have since you do not have more ports but if you do not have a switch around this is the way.

Best Regards
Konstantin Kolev

I think it's only the 1215 and 1217 that has two ports, OP has a 1214.

Most drives and HMI's above the basic range also have two ports, but at some point a network switch is generally required.

I've never considered buying anything above a 1214, for the price of a 1215 it generally ends up being around the same price as the ET200 mounted 1510 CPU by the time IO is priced up.

That's the exact switch that I like to use in panels. They're half the price at Parmley Graham though!
They're a lot cheaper!
I'll ask our Purchasing Dept if they can add Parmley Graham to our "Approved suppliers list" then I can buy from them instead of RS. Cheers