Siemens Tia Portal

Dietger1990

Hello,

If the date on the license manager of tia Portal has expired, can I still work with it? or is this just to keep the program up to date?

I am new to Tia Portal.

Greetings

Dietger

TIA Portal comes with a 21 day trial license. It stops working until you purchase a license once 21 days have passed since the trial was activated it.

okay, but if I buy an official license from them and the days expire, can I still work with it? because like Inventor (Autodesk) you buy a one-year license and you have to renew it every year to use Inventor, if you don't do that you can no longer use it.

If you buy a license it won't be based on subscription.
It is perpetual and good for life (unless you upgrade the TIA version to a new one in which case you have to get/buy an upgrade license).

Siemens HAS subscription options, I think mostly tied to the cloud services. You can rent a cloud VM for a month or a year or X hours, etc. It might be possible to buy a 1 year license for a laptop, but the default is the perpetual Floating License. It can be moved between computers, sold when you're done with it, used forever, or upgraded (for a price, but less than a whole new license) to a later version.

That's my experience in the US, though. They might be going to market a little different in their home turf of Europe?

ah ok, I think the license is quite expensive if you have to replace it every year, this is feasible for large companies, but for a very small self-employed person this is too expensive. but if it is long life, I will still purchase 1 license just for one year of updates.

thanks for the help both of you.

Siemens HAS subscription options, I think mostly tied to the cloud services. You can rent a cloud VM for a month or a year or X hours, etc. It might be possible to buy a 1 year license for a laptop, but the default is the perpetual Floating License. It can be moved between computers, sold when you're done with it, used forever, or upgraded (for a price, but less than a whole new license) to a later version.

That's my experience in the US, though. They might be going to market a little different in their home turf of Europe?
That's pretty much the size of it here. I have seen subscription options which are slightly cheaper for restricted number of hours usage, but can't see it available from my Siemens supplier.

I'm still using v16, current release is v19 with v20 scheduled for release before the end of the year. You can buy an SUS (software upgrade service) package, which covers you for any new releases within a year, so buying v19 plus SUS would allow you to upgrade to v20 upon release.

For TIA Portal, I would definitely get the SUS contract.
TIA comes in new major versions approximately every 12-16 months.
A SUS costs approx 15% anually of what a full license costs.

An upgrade license from a previous version costs approx 30% of the full new license.
So if you can stick to one version for at least 3-4 years, then it would be slightly less expensive to do incremental upgrades instead of the SUS contract.