J1939 to Cat C6.6 Engine

WainDude

Good day everyone, just wondering if anyone here has done an engine control application using J1939 CanOpen. I have a customer with a new Cat C6.6 OEM engine and we are setting it up. I am monitoring the J1939 with IFM Efector electronics. I have a 7" screen and a couple of PLC's. I can see and read all of the engine parameters, just wondering about the proper SPN and PGN's to use for throttle control, or engine speed control.

Just a shot in the dark, as I know most people here are industrial and not mobile, but we are seeing the progression in mobile to fully automated systems.

Thanks,

CAT generators, MTU, Perkins, MWM and others use J1039 - hate it!
Generally I am working with CAT generators, and others, with a Modbus RTU interface - still a lot of work to do with floating point maths in the PLC to sort out and calculate values from the generator.
I do not know the engine you are working with though - generally work with 3516, 3512, 3520 sets - bigger boys I suspect.
They generally have EMCP controllers on them.
I must admit that I never send stop, start, speed and voltage controls over the network - have seen it fall over or be unreliable too many times.
Normally use a Woodward easYgen controller to control the generator and hard wire things - it is more reliable.
CANopen is a PITA with J1939 in my view!
If you must insist on using comms to control the engine, get the CAT manual for addresses in the EMCP - it is not difficult.

Bob, CanOpen J1939 must have some merit, every truck and industrial engine in North America uses it. I just need to figure out the throttle control, I am already reading all of the data and fault codes from the engine, I have a prewritten program from IFM for throttle control, I just need to sort it out.

Thanks,

It definately has some merit - it is just that I do a lot of emergency power and base load generator work and generally there are lots of very heavy currents floating around - generally 2000A plus per phase. The cables are all run on common trays and induction can be a problem into the comm lines - even if they are well shielded.
This is not the recommended way of running cables of course but it nearly always happens.
Does not happen in a truck or car - no really heavy currents.
I have seen several jobs here in Ozz where the comms method was utilised with Woodward controllers and were later changed out to hard wired due to the above causing problems.

2000A per phase, you definately are going to see interference if the cables are run in the same tray. I see what you mean. This application is a drive and control system for a tracked vehicle, no such worry here. I have 4 Canopen joysticks, 1 Canopen rotary control, 2 plc's and 1 HMI. All operating on Canopen. It was going to be difficult to have enought analog inputs available on the PLC's to handle all the analog that would have been required including 7 pressure tranducers, 1 temperature transducer and 5 pwm channels for the pumps, so I decided to go with Canopen networks. It works fine now, I have everything talking, just not sending the commands out to the engine yet.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Hi Wain,

Not sure if it helps but John J. Flynn is suppose to be our local guy his phone number is 403-938-3299. Not sure if he is the guy to help but he should know who is. Also have you been able to find any good literature on Can (more specifically for codesys) I can’t find anything good online.

Ian