FactoryTalkView SE V6.10 - ActiveX

MartB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to open an activeX object to display a third party application.

Basically I have to use an activex VNC Viewer to look at my third party application.
I'm currently trying to use SmartCode Solutions Active X VNC Viewer but I've had no luck at all getting it to connect.

I can connect to my third party application using UltraVNC viewer, so I know that it's running and available. I just need to be able to do the same from within my FactoryTalk View SE application as an activeX object.

If anyone has any experience using activex within FTV SE, I would appreciate any advice you could give me. This is an extremely frustrating issue.

Note:
The reason for doing it this way is to comply with 21CFR part11 which means I have to ensure that the user cannot get back out to the windows environment from within my application.

Yes, and that would also be part of the process to comply with the regulations. I need to be able to have everything run from within one application though, hence the reason for trying to run the activex within FTV SE.

I've used ActiveX in SE, but I think not all of them will work though. I still don't fully understand what VNC will do for you as an ActiveX in a SE screen. Isn't it mostly used for remote viewing of another computer?

Yep, exactly that.
And the way this third party application is set up, that is the only way I can view it, via VNC.
Not the ideal situation, but something I have to live with on this project unfortunately.

So the VNC works when it's not an ActiveX. Then when you try it as an ActiveX what happens? Does it look like it works except that you can't connect? Any SE error messages in the log?

Well the ActiveX just shows up as a white box with "VNC Viewer - Disconnected" in the center of the screen, there are no error messages displayed, and no messages in the log either (which really perplexes me).

I have correct server address in the activeX control (the only parameter available).

I'm running UltraVNC.

I tried their activex client as well, but had no luck with that either.
I can see the 3rd party app if I use a straight up VNC viewer (all the flavors I've tried so far have worked in that regard), but I'm trying to get the activex working.

I was hoping that someone somewhere has used an activex vnc viewer before, and could point me in the right direction.
I'm starting to feel very lost on this activex stuff right now :confused:

I still don't understand why the viewer has to be part of an SE screen. DesktopLock can be configured to "do away" with the standard windows desktop. It can be configure to allow users access to only certain programs.

Trust me, I wish it wasn't this way. It would certainly make my life a lot easier.

As a requirement for 21CFR part 11 we need to be able to lock them into our FT SE application and not let them have access to anything else outside of that environment.

To top all of that, there's no way to cleanly exit the 3rd party app without shutting it down (which would kill the process).
I've tried to Appstart the 3rd party app, but each time I do that it runs a new instance of the program, which is obviously going to cause other problems if I were to go that route.
The cleanest option would be ActiveX but apparently I can't get that to work, so I'm running out of ideas.

In the next release of SEn active x controls are improved a lot. There is going to be a specific class on jsut that at AF 2012 next month in philly.

Can you perhaps use ME? ME will run on any pc that SE will and the latest version of ME has VNC built in as a service and using desktop lock this may fit you spec.

Call your distributor and get them to give you a 30 day ME license and give it a shot. You SE app can be converted over to ME in a few minutes in most cases.

Unfortunately ME isn't an option due to some of the other stuff we have going on with this machine.

I'm really at a loss as to where to turn next for help. It seems that all the ActiveX VNC Viewers I've tried aren't going to work in SE.

I'm already signed up for Lab 11 next month at AF if that's the one you're referring to.