Rockwell KB help

No there is no site rule that prohibits asking for help from the charity of others. In fact, this site depends on those actions.

I think the root of peelseeds's question is whether a locked Knowledgebase article can be reproduced verbatim in this forum. I too would be curious to know the answer.

Personally, I would say copy/pasting a KB article that isn't freely available would violate AB's copyright and is probably a good way to get Phil sent take down notices.

Asking the group the question that leads to the content in the KB article, and getting an answer that's not copy and paste is perfectly fine.

I may be wrong, but I think if it's a KB that is open to public it's OK, but not any that you have to have a support agreement for.

Personally, I would say copy/pasting a KB article that isn't freely available would violate AB's copyright...
The same copyright rules apply here as anywhere else. Public articles may be quoted but not fully duplicated for the purpose of financial gain. Teaching is one of the legal justifications for the doctrine of fair use.

One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords. This right is subject to certain limitations found in sections 107 through 118 of the copyright law (title 17, U. S. Code). One of the more important limitations is the doctrine of “fair use.” The doctrine of fair use has developed through a substantial number of court decisions over the years and has been codified in section 107 of the copyright law.
Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair.

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
The distinction between what is fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.

The safest course is to get permission from the copyright owner before using copyrighted material. The Copyright Office cannot give this permission.

When it is impracticable to obtain permission, you should consider avoiding the use of copyrighted material unless you are confident that the doctrine of fair use would apply to the situation. The Copyright Office can neither determine whether a particular use may be considered fair nor advise on possible copyright violations. If there is any doubt, it is advisable to consult an attorney.

Last edited:
I think fair use is that you have purchased the product and you need the manual for it.

An example is that we have stopped making printed copies of all the various bits and parts that go into our machines. That would be hundreds if not thousands of manuals and brochures and information leaflets and whatnot. Think about the poor rainforests !
Nowadays we simply gather all the manufacturers PDFs into a CD (or DVD) and send it together with the printed manual for the end-product. I dont think we violate any copyright by doing so.

edit: I would go so far as to say that if a manufacturer cannot accept that the manuals are free to distribute around the endusers of the same manufacturers products, then that is enough that I would consider stopping using that manufacturers products. That is theoretical of course. I cannot imagine any manufacturer to behave that stupidly.

Last edited:
Peelseeds,

# 25748 does not seem to exist.

You ask about the version of RS Enterprise.... do you mean RS5000 Enterprise? RSLinx Enterpise?

If so, open the application, click Help > About RS...

It is not that easy for RSLinx Enterprise since it isn't an application that you can open and find Help on the menu bar.

For Linx Enterprise, I would find RSLinxNG.exe and get the version from the file properties.

I don't want to start the whole copyright/fair-use argument but I thought I had seen a FAQ or thread that said the policy was absolutely no cut & paste of AB KB articles but that we were free to go read the article then post our own summary of what the KB article said.

I don't want to start the whole copyright/fair-use argument but I thought I had seen a FAQ or thread that said the policy was absolutely no cut & paste of AB KB articles but that we were free to go read the article then post our own summary of what the KB article said.

I believe you saw that at MrPLC. I don't recall ever seeing that here.
But paraphrasing the article is ok even at MrPLC.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=14564

Last edited: