cannot open your *.rss dowloads

radagast

I've got a basic plc program , i think that it is the microlite1000, or something like that. i down load some of your simple *.rss programs, but when i try to open them with the rslogix s/w, it comes up with the message , unsupported. the file doesn’t look right either . it looks like an open envelope. Can i open these *.rss ffiles?,
yours sincerely,
Bill Foord.

Welcome to the forum!
Can you provide info on the exact version of RSLogix? Also can you post a link to the files you are trying to open? Maybe someone here can convert the files to .pdf format for you.

Is this the MicroLogix program you are trying to use? If so, it will only open files for the Micrologix 1000 and 1100.
Link:
http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

I don't think that the Micro version will open SLC500 programs. They both are .rss extensions. That's why I was wondering which file download you were trying to open. I can download it here to see which processor is being used.

Last edited:
RSLogix Micro English, and i was trying to open the *.rss programs that i downloaded from this website, or isn't that possible?
The free Micrologix1000 version of RSLogix will open an RSS file that has been configured for the MicroLogix1000 PLC. If it is any other PLC model, you will not be able to open it without upgrading to a non-free version.

Some programs might be reconfigured as MicroLogix1000, if we knew which ones you are intereseted in seeing, or someone could print out the program to a PDF file which you can open and read (but not do any program logic editing).

You might have more than one issue, actually.

The pointers that you can't use the "Micro Lite" edition of RSLogix 500 to open a project configured for anything but a MicroLogix 1000 or 1100 controller is correct.

The file extension for RSLogix 500 files is *.RSS, for "Rockwell Software SLC-500". For the older RSLogix 5 files, it was *.RSP, for the PLC-5 controller.

Some years later, an Internet standard for news feeds was developed, called Really Simple Syndication. Those files also have a *.RSS extension.

On computers that do not have RSLogix 500 installed, *.RSS files will show up with an envelope icon because Windows thinks they are newsfeed programs (opened by Outlook, generally).

On computers that do have RSLogix 500 installed, the *.RSS files should show up with a little ladder-logic icon.

I'm not sure why your computer, with RSLogix 500 installed, still shows the programs associated with Really Simple Syndication.

The first thing to try is to use the File -> Open menu in RSLogix 500, rather than double-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer.

thank you for your answer, maybe it's because the program i a m using is rslogix microstarter lite. i put the files into a folder and then tried to open them from this program, but they still looked like "open envelopes" and could not be recognized. i was just trying to get more familiar with rslogix at home, so i would be more confident with the programs at work

Post the .rss file here (zip it first) and someone will tell you why you can not open it oe which one it is in the download section.

i did it , thanks mickey. i just changed the what program opens these files to the rslogix program and all the icons changed accordingly. aside from that when i look at "channel configuration", what is a "channel"? what defines a channel?
thanks
Bill Foord.

It is a Communications channel. This is where you configure the communications settings. For example, if you have a model with ethernet, this is where you would configure the IP address the unit would use. If your PLC had a serial port, it might be used to configure the baud rate of the serial port.

It's all about communications.

OG

Number system starts with 0. You'll see it all through the PLC. Word 0, bit 0, file 0, and yes, channel 0.

Many PLCs have multiple communications channels. One might be used to connect to an operator interface while another one is used for programming.

OG

so for the micrologix1200, where the laptop plugs into the same connector on the plc as the hmi, does this mean that the hmi and the laptop talk to the plc through the same channel?,
thanks,
Bf.

The Micro 1200 has either has one or two communications channels.

If it only has one (channel 0) then yes, the HMI and the laptop would use the same phyiscal connection. You must unplug the HMI to plug in the laptop and vice versa.

The Micro 1200 can also be had with two comm ports so the laptop and HMI could both be plugged in and communicating simultaneously.

OG