CLX DHRIO Remote

This should work; I have used this configuration several times.

Remember that when both channels are configured for DH+, the 1756-DHRIO modules should not be in the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree. That causes nuisance errors in the I/O system, but will not affect the DH+ messaging.

A "BPIC" message indicates a failure of the backplane ASIC chip or the backplane connector. Check very carefully for bent pins or damaged connectors.

It's possible for there to be a damaged or defective component in the backplane system of the chassis or the 1756-CNB modules, and it's just showing up when you install the DHRIO.

More info

Remember that when both channels are configured for DH+, the 1756-DHRIO modules should not be in the RSLogix 5000 I/O tree. That causes nuisance errors in the I/O system, but will not affect the DH+ messaging.

Yes but it should be in the RSLOGIX for ControlNet file correct? and I should be able to see it in the RSLINX
configuration. What if I wanted one channel to be DH+ A
and one channel to be RIO B, the module gives me a fault
on the module display and I get a ! in RSLOGIX5000 tree.
I reseated the module and the BPIC went away.

Last edited:
If the 1756-DHRIO has both channels configured for DH+, it should not be in the I/O tree.

If the 1756-DHRIO has both channels configured for RIO, it must be in the I/O tree and will generate no connection errors.

If the 1756-DHRIO has just one channel configured for RIO, it must be in the I/O tree but will always generate a nuisance error for the DH+ channel as it attempts to make an I/O connection to the absent RIO object. This is normal.

The module will show up in RSNetworx, and RSNetworx will schedule connections for it if any RIO channels are configured. You do not need to perform any special steps in RSNetworx for ControlNet to make it work.

I'm glad to hear the BPIC error went away; examine the connector very carefully for any damaged pins to ensure future reliability.

Fault issue

If I configure both channels for DH+ and do not put it in
the tree, I get a config fault showing up on the Module
Face status display. Is this normal if I do not have a DH+
network connected. Also I understand that I need to
in rslinx configure the routing table.
I am including a few screen shots on some strange issues

Screen shots

using RSLINX notice what the DHRIO configuration
shows even tho the switches are set for RIO at 115kb
on both channels
Also notice the routing table shows both DH+ channels
as you can see the network layout, any examples on
how the routing would be set up.

RIO.JPG routing_table.jpg controlnet.jpg

How do you actually want the 1756-DHRIO module to function ?

Start by defining the function you want each channel to perform.

Use RSLogix 5000 to configure the RIO channels.

Use RSLinx Classic to configure the DH+ channels and Routing Tables.

If your PanelView terminal uses the Remote I/O protocol, it can be used with this network architecture.

If your PanelView terminal uses the DH+ protocol, it cannot be used with this network architecture, for the reasons described in that Knowledgebase article.

Post the exact and complete part number of the PanelView terminal to determine exactly what protocol it uses.

It's all becoming clear to me now.

For a PanelView Standard terminal with DH+ to connect to a ControlLogix CPU, the 1756-DHRIO module that services it must be in the same chassis as the ControlLogix processor.

Since placing the 1756-DHRIO in the same chassis as the processor is not an option (it sounds like the chassis is full or you have a Redundancy system), you need a PanelView or other operator terminal with a different network interface.

Convert the Panelview

But if I conver the Panelview to RIO, cause it is built in
and change the project to RIO instead of DH+, cause I do need
to rewrite the PLC code, it should work. Correct.

You cannot "convert" a PanelView Standard terminal from DH+ to RIO except by replacing it with a different terminal.

I assume you are talking about a PanelView Standard terminal; if this were a PanelView Plus you would use Ethernet or ControlNet.

Duel Port

The port on the back says RIO/DH+ depending on how the
config is setup, and how the blue hose is connected.
It is a PV1400e