Message from PLC-5 to CLX Through 1756-DHRIO

bodoo23

I am trying to send some datas from PLC-5 to control logix plc through 1756-DHRIO. When I go online to PLC-5, Message instruction gives error & says "no ip address is configured for network" but the communication is dh+ and node address etc everything is correct.
I can read/write datas from same clx to same plc-5 but from plc-5 to clx I had the error above. Mapping is also done.
I know I can handle all data from clx by doing read/write but the client asked for keeping the same and I have to use plc-5 side messaging as well.
Thanks in advance.

I attached the picture of the instruction. Since I am out of the plant now, the picture you see is from an offline program.

msg.jpg

Thank you for those details !

According to this MSG instruction configuration, the 1756-DHRIO should be set for Node 03 on the DH+ network. Is that correct ?

Because you have selected a "Local" DH+ message, the DHRIO will try to send that message to the ControlLogix in the Slot Number designated in the "default slot" configuration for the DHRIO.

By default, that's Slot 0. But you can have a CPU in any slot of a 1756 chassis, so sometimes the value needs to be changed to correspond with which CPU you want the DHRIO to service.

Remember also that the ControlLogix needs to be configured to emulate PLC-5 data tables. There has to be an INT[x] array tag (of Controller scope) that is designated to be mapped to Data File 210. That array tag needs to be at least 10 elements long to respond to this 10-word Data Table Read.

I don't have Studio 5000 in front of me so somebody else will have to direct you to the PLC/SLC Data Table Mapping tool from the top-level menu.

Some context: the word "Typed" always confused me in PLC-5 messaging.... are we using typewriters ?

:)

In the PLC-2 era, memory was read and written in undifferentiated offsets, instead of being in File numbers and Data Types. A-B controllers still support that "Common Interface File" (CIF) addressing if you need it.

But with the advent of the PLC-5, you also have Data "Types".

The terms "Typed Read" and "Typed Write" just means that the Data Table "type" is explicit in the MSG addressing. Boolean (B), Integer (N), and Floating Point (F) are the only "types" of PLC-5 data table files that the ControlLogix can emulate.

Yes, 1756-DHRIO’s node address is 3. The dhrio module is at 4th slot on backplane, plc is at slot 0.
I made the required settings for mapping.
Thanks.

When you get the opportunity, go online and very carefully examine the MSG instruction for conflicting control blocks or mis-configuration.

Double-check the error code (and be sure you're looking at it in Hexadecimal format). The error 0x0010 should not appear for a message that is configured to run on a DH+ channel instead of an Ethernet channel.

In Studio 5000, go to the "LOGIC" menu and select "Map PLC/SLC Messages...". There, you can add maps to connect old style file numbers to match controller tags. The way I've usually seen it done is to create a tag called "N7" of type "INT[x]", where x is the size of the data file you want to emulate. You can call it anything you want, though.

Personally, I generally try to use only read MSG instructions in the destination PLC so it's easier to see where the information is coming from. There's nothing like seeing the value change in a tag that's never written in the PLC or HMI, with no documentation (of course). I've also found it far easier to set up the MSG path in the Logix 5000 project than in the PLC5, but that's probably just me...

PLC_SLC_Mapping.png

Yes, 1756-DHRIO’s node address is 3. The dhrio module is at 4th slot on backplane, plc is at slot 0.
I made the required settings for mapping.
Thanks.

This is a little confusing to me. Are you saying that the 1756-DHRIO's node address is 3 because it is in Slot 3, the 4th position of the rack? If so, then there is no guarantee that the node address is 3. For instance, I have a 1756-DHRIO in slot 3 of a rack. Its node address is 10 since there was existing DH+ architecture we had to work around. This should be easy enough to check through RSLinx if you drill down to the DHRIO card in RSWho. The image below shows how ours is currently set up. One other thing to check is the port on the PLC5 that the DH+ is actually connected to. Ours is connected to port 2A, because we run two different DH+ networks in that department.

1756DHRIONode.png

The slot # for the DHRIO is irrelevant to the PLC-5. Ken said it is node #3 because the picture in Post #3 identifies the node # for the DHRIO. But, we are assuming that the DHRIO has been configured (using the rotary dials) to actually use node #3. If the OP placed it in the fourth slot believing that makes it node #3, then MikeyN has certainly identified the problem. Hopefully the OP's comment about it being in the fourth slot was just to give us a better mental picture.

You can verify this node # by watching the scrolling display on the DHRIO. It should scroll by with an A#03 or a B#03 (channel A or channel B). I'm going off memory here, but when using a MSG from the CLX to the PLC-5, your own DH+ node number isn't necessary. In other words I don't need to know my own address to send a message to you, but I must know your address.

OG

EDIT: To build on MikeyN's comment and expand my previous comment just a little...If the CLX sends to the PLC-5, it (CLX) does not need to know which port the PLC-5 will receive the message (1A, 1B, 2A, or 2B) on. But if the PLC-5 is sending, it must identify which port it will be sent from. The MSG in post #3 identifies it as 1A. So again, in other words, I don't need to know which port you are receiving the data, but I must know which port I am sending from. So we need to verify that port 1A is indeed what is connecting these two controllers.

Last edited:
In Studio 5000, go to the "LOGIC" menu and select "Map PLC/SLC Messages...". There, you can add maps to connect old style file numbers to match controller tags. The way I've usually seen it done is to create a tag called "N7" of type "INT[x]", where x is the size of the data file you want to emulate. You can call it anything you want, though.

Personally, I generally try to use only read MSG instructions in the destination PLC so it's easier to see where the information is coming from. There's nothing like seeing the value change in a tag that's never written in the PLC or HMI, with no documentation (of course). I've also found it far easier to set up the MSG path in the Logix 5000 project than in the PLC5, but that's probably just me...

+1 (N210:0 is not a valid CLX tag name)

In post #1 and again in post #6 the OP said mapping is done.

OG

True, and also one would not expect the "no ip address is configured..." error for an invalid target. But also is unexpected for a local DH+ message as pointed out in post #7.

One other thing to check is that there is no ethernet-based message using the MSG file element immediately preceding the one used for this DH+ message (ethernet requires two consecutive elements). This is one of the things to look for as suggested in post #7.

One other thing to check is that there is no ethernet-based message using the MSG file element immediately preceding the one used for this DH+ message (ethernet requires two consecutive elements). This is one of the things to look for as suggested in post #7.

Agree. The error doesn't agree with the type of MSG so I would also verify the control block isn't being used. That Ethernet one catches people.

OG

Thanks everyone for your responds. After Ken's respond I found what was wrong. In the configuration menu of 1756-DHRIO through rslinx there is "channel configuration". There is an entry box for controller slot. My previous configuration was slot 4 which is actually slot number of 1756-DHRIO module but it actually has to show controller slot which is 0.
I added a picture from web to show you where the configuration is.

DHRIO1.jpg

Last edited: