OT - Hurricane Sandy

bernie_carlton

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Here's hoping that Phil Melore and others in the eastern part of the United States and their families come through the impending visit by Hurricane Sandy. I think we'll understand interruptions.

Here's something our great controllers have no control over. Though it's incredible the extent to which the predictive power of the computer models have been advanced.

I can't imagine what NY state is in for. We're supposedly getting 100mm of rain and 100kph winds starting tonight and going for 24 hours, and we're only getting brushed by Sandy.

I want a girlfriend name Sandy. You talk about powerful and mean. Hopefully this sandy just goes on by With no incidents.

I want a girlfriend name Sandy. You talk about powerful and mean. Hopefully this sandy just goes on by With no incidents.
As a hurricane she is big but nothing too special, it is the mix of high pressure area coming from the North and the Low pressure area from the West meeting her at a full moon high tide that is raising the stakes.
Hopefully the worst loss has already taken place with the loss of the HMS Bounty replica.

ITS FRANKENSTORM!!!
I can't beleive the hype this storm is getting. Toronto news papers are encouraging people to stock up on bottled water and food supplies.
I guess this is the first time a late season storm has hit.

I just hope Philadelphia is still there for next week's Automation Fair.

We're seeing quite a lot of coverage by the news over here in England

Hope it passes quickly

I believe they can be like an ex wife , nice and pleasant at first , but when it finally leaves . . . .

Takes half the half the %~*$" house with it

Take care

ITS FRANKENSTORM!!!
I can't beleive the hype this storm is getting. Toronto news papers are encouraging people to stock up on bottled water and food supplies.

Don't worry, it's Toronto, when things get tough you guys just call in the army to help you out. :D

Just wondering, how is all of this coordinated? Not a FEMA event, yet. 900 electrical workers have already left from our area to respond. Who, what, where? What states, cities, who's first? Worker food, sleeping, priorities? Equipment, supplies, funding? I admire the efforts, just wondering who runs the master plan.

Bets of luck to all.

What windspeeds are you expecting ?
Katrina was 70 m/s if I remember correctly.

I hope that it will be over without causing so much trouble. Best of luck from here.

Currently it's at 90 miles/hr (40 m/s). It's not necessairly the speed but the huge area it's covering and the combined effect of the wind surge and tides on low-lying areas.

ITS FRANKENSTORM!!!

Yikes!

I apologize for making light of a serious situation hitting the Eastern seaboard area

My thoughts are out there for those in the areas.
We were 3500 Km's away from Yatsi and still felt the effects
(200 mm rain in 1 Hour) - minor flooding