PIC and windows XP

dmelect

I have windows XP on my laptop and I am going to try to connect to a micro 1000 that was programmed with a pic driver. I have a 1747-uic cable. Can I connect to the 1000 with this cable using the uic driver?

Thanks

I have windows XP on my laptop and I am going to try to connect to a micro 1000 that was programmed with a pic driver. I have a 1747-uic cable. Can I connect to the 1000 with this cable using the uic driver?

Thanks

I believe the ML1000 Communications is just a standard RS-232 Port that supports DF-1 and DH-485 Protocols with an 8 Pin DIN Connector. So, the 1747-UIC is not the right tool for the job.

You need a 1761-CBL-PM02 DB-9 to DIN Cable or something similar.

See Chapter 3 of the User Manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um003_-en-p.pdf

Stu....

I have tried the pm02 cable and cannot connect. I assumed it was because of it being programmed using the pic driver.

I have tried the pm02 cable and cannot connect. I assumed it was because of it being programmed using the pic driver.

Do you have a real Hardware Serial Port on your PC?

If so, try the RS-232 DF1 Devices Driver. Under Device select SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView. Leave everything else at the Default Value for now.

If you don't have a Hardware Serial Port, that will be a different solution.

Stu....

No unfortunatly I do not have a real serial port on my laptop

In that case you are going to setup a USB to Serial Converter, and then select its Comm Port in the DF1 Driver.

A lot of Members on the Forum have had good success with the USA-HS19.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3914

Unfortunately, not all USB to Serial Converters are equal, and many don't work well with PLCs.

It was available from one of the Members here at;

http://www.ind-concepts.com/index.htm

Stu....

I have a 1747-uic cable. Can I connect to the micro using the uic driver?

I thought the 1747-UIC was only for USB to DH-485 (RS-485) conversion, but maybe not. I just downloaded the Manual, and I will have a look.

Stu....

Last edited:
Stu's most recent post is correct: you can connect to an SLC-500 or MicroLogix controller's RS-232 port configured with DH485 protocol, using the 1747-UIC and an appropriate cable.

The appropriate cable, in this case, is the 1761-CBL-PM02. That's the standard programming cable that's been used for MicroLogix 1000 controllers since 1995.

If you know that the MicroLogix 1000 has been configured to make DH485 the "primary protocol", this arrangement should work right away.