Power Monitoring and management

princemabs

I have an AB SLC 5/05 and i want to modify the program to so that i can monitor and record the power being used by the electric motor when its running, the system is currently recording current

the question is how do I write a PLC code in Ladder logic to record the energy in KWH for
1. current energy being used, this has to reset when the pump is off
2. energy used for that day, this has to reset at 6 am every day
3. energy used in a week, this has to reset every Monday at 6am
4. energy used in a month, this has to reset on the last day of the month at mid-night
5. energy used in a year, this has to reset on the 31st of december

all energy will be measured in KWH

Last edited:
it is all in the maths, however you also need to monitor the Voltage.
so a couple of additional questions.
A) 3 Phase Current monitoring
B) Phase to Phase and Phase to Neutral Voltages
once you have this information all else is easy

sorry, but unless you actually monitor the voltage, 440V is only an assumed value.
depending where you are and what is the load on the street supply.
this can vary between 405 and 460
do not think that the supply authority maintains +/- 5% no chance
where abouts in OZ are you

Thinking further
you would be better fitting in a power monitor device that talks via Modbus
then all information is available to the PLC

You need to also monitor all three phase voltages and currents

I am in Melbourne, the accuracy of the power is not necessary, the client wants a rough guide as to how much power he is using, and we will assume a constant supply voltage

The other issue you'll have is with voltage and current(scalar values) you'll only be able to get the apparent power. Your real power consumption might actually be quite different, depending on your power factor.

you can assume a motor running on load is close to 0.8
and any power factor correction systems normally bring that to 0.93
so assuming unity power factor will not be a problem.
If you are guessing the voltage then a variation of power factor wont matter