windows7 64 bit

grazianogogo

Supporting Member
Hello every body ,

I have problem with ram memory on my computer usin win7 ultimate 32 bit ... often when i programming with FactoryTalk v.6.10 , Rslogix5000 v.18.-19. and SoftLogix v18 together my computer crash due ram not enought space.
So i try to increase Ram memory but win7 32bit in my PC can only use 2.3G.
After check on internet the solution for win7 to use more ram memory space is instal the version in 64 bit.
My question is :
my software will work well under win7 64 bit or i will meet some problem ?
Please let me know what will be the best solution ...
Thank you very much
Graziano

You can do what many of us have done and use a virtual machine like VMware to run your 32 bit apps in a 64 bit environment.

But .......... does your PC support a 64bit OS? Sounds like you are going to need to buy a new PC if you want to go the 64bit route

Definitely sounds like you need a new PC if it will only allow you 2.3gigs. If you're going to run those programs all at once, you'd want to max out the 4gig (win will only recognize 3.5gig if I remember).

Win7 also sucks more resources than WinXP. If getting a new PC is out of the question, try going to XP to free up some of the memory you have.

1. Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
  2. At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" (no quotation marks!)
  3. Restart the computer.
This will get you the maximum memory usage for a 32-bit OS (3072MB)!

If it is not enough (sadly, it probably won't be!), you will have to migrate to a 64-bit OS with at least 8GB of RAM.

Win7 32-bit machines are constricted to 4GB of RAM. Anything beyond 4GB is unusable. If your machine is capable of running Win 7 then it is probably capable of 4GB of RAM. Probably. However some of that RAM memory might be used for video memory but typically that is a small amount.

When you said:

"So i try to increase Ram memory but win7 32bit in my PC can only use 2.3G."

Where did you get that number from? Total RAM versus Available RAM are two different things.

You also need to determine if your computer is capable of running a 64-bit operating system. There is a great utility that will tell you quickly if your machine has a 64-bit capable cpu. The link below is to a free utility called "Securable" that does not install anything on your computer but runs and tests your cpu. GRC.com is a leading security themed website.

http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

Now, as for the software you mentioned:

FactoryTalk View v6.1 is compatible with Win7 64-bit, BUT.....your applications are not portable between 32-bit and 64-bit. An application built using a Win7 32-bit operating system must be converted to be used on a 64-bit system. RA includes a tool to do this but it must be run through this tool first on the 32-bit machine and then run through it again on the 64-bit machine. So you need a 32-bit machine and a 64-bit machine to do this conversion. Hopefully v7.0 will fix this as it is very cumbersome.

RSLogix v19 added support for Win7 64-bit. If you install v19 first and then go back and add v18 to the install, you will be fine.

SoftLogix 5800 v20 added support for Win7 64-bit. No previous versions will work. Only v20. This is a gotcha.

OG