Did I just ruin my ENI?

harrybauls

Hi Everyone,

First, you have a great forum here with tons of great advice and solutions for novices like myself. Your assistance is appreciated.

I have a problem. I think I just messed up my 1761-Net-Eni Ser.B 2.0.
I had it working ok. I got Rslinx to see it and was able to bring up the webpage via browser. I used a USB 1761-CBL-PM02 to run the ENI utility and I was able to read it and assign IP's, etc. Everything was going good.

However, when the eni showed up on rslinx, it had a different icon. I figured it needed the more recent EDS I installed that, didn't fix the icon issue. So then I thought about upgrading the firmware on the ENI to the newer 2.3 from AB website. Well everything was looking good until it got "stuck" near the last part, "upgrading the firmware". It was taking a very long time making no more progress. Then one of the dc wires from the bottom slipped out.

After reconnecting and turning it back on, it no longer works. When it turns on it does the power on checks, then fault light goes solid and ethernet rx/tx lights flash. When I connect to the ethernet port, the link light turns green and the connection looks like it is made but no response from eni. I connect via rs232, utility tries to connect(connecting....)but can't. I tried the Telnet way. I tried the bootp utility from AB.

Is this thing dead? Should I try to connect with other serial cable to older xp machine? Do you guys think if I use the older serial cable to a serial port it will make a difference?

Can these be fixed? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sorry to be so long winded, but I figured I would try to be detailed.
Thanks guys,
Harry:unsure:

Welcome to the Forum!

Not necessarily, but possibly.

Cycle the Power one the ENI, turn off BootP, and try upgrading the Firmware again. I would try it using a Serial Cable.

Stu....

I reread your Post, and I have a couple of questions.

What Operating System and Service Pack on you PC?

What Version of RSLinx is installed?

Are you using a real Hardware Serial Port, or a USB Converter?

Stu....

Hi Stu,

Thanks for taking another look. I was using XP Pro SP3 thru vware on a Win7 laptop using a usb convertor when I was performing upgrade. I have tried to connect since then using the same and also thru Win7 with virtual machine off. RSLinx was 2.43 when I did the upgrade but since upgraded to 2.59 hoping that would help. This configuration has been working good for me connecting to Micrologix 1200 and using RSview with the usb convertor. I tried to get fancy and wanted to move the pc a little farther, hence the ENI.

If you think connecting thru a hardwired port on a seperate machine with the original serial cable might work, I will order one and try it.

If you think connecting thru a hardwired port on a seperate machine with the original serial cable might work, I will order one and try it.

I tend to trust real Serial Ports more, especially for critical applications. I have found USB to Serial Converters can be problematic. Then you add the VMWare in Windows 7 on top of that.

So far, I have managed to stick with Windows XP, and Hardware Serial Ports, but eventually I will be forced to make the change.

If it is possible, I would try and get a Laptop or PC with a real Serial Port and Cable, and try the Upgrade again. There are no guarantees of course, but at this point, you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

I could only find one article on the AB/RA Knowledgebase, but it implied that you should be able to Flash the ENI again after cycling the Power if there was a lockup.

Stu....

Last edited:
Thanks Stu! I glimmer of hope is better than none at all...lol. I will try that possible solution as soon as I receive the cable I ordered.
Thanks again!

No problem. Hopefully someone else will have some insights. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck!

I also found the USB serial port converter problematic until I got one from MOXA. These can be setup for RS232 or RS485. I use them mostly through a Virtual XP machine under windows 7. I use them on Yokogawa Darwin systems, CCC turbomachinery controllers, Allen Bradley PLCs and more...no problems so far. And no, I don't work for Moxa. :>

Thanks buckian,

I went ahead and ordered the db9 serial cable to eliminate it as part of the problem. I will consider trying out the MOXA in the future.