Siemens OP25 question

mrtweaver

Not that I dont want to beleive what I was told but I would rather check with the experts here on this site.

What software and cable would be needed to communicate with Siemens S5 ?

What software and cable would be needed to communicate with Siemens OP25?

The one cable number I was given by a sales person is 6XV1440-2KH32, but when I google search it, it comes up as for an OP7. Not sure if the 7 and 25 use same cable.

Hope you dont mind my asking.

Thanks and have a great day.

Yes, OP7 and OP25 uses the same cable.
But I think it is two different cables for transfer from PC to panel, and for connection between panel and S5 PLC.
The port on the panel is 15-pin D-sub, the port on the PC is 9-pin D-sub, and the port on the S5 PLC is 15-pin D-sub.
I have the 6XV1440-2KH32 and use it for transfer from PC to panel. Well "used" for transfer. It must be like 10 years since I programmed my last OP27 which had that port.

Ok so the OP7 and OP25 use the same cable to program them.

What software is used?

Now the one thing i am not clear on, does the S5 CPU also get programmed with same cable as the OP25 or is that cable a different cable?

And finally what software would be recommended for programming the S5?

Thanks and have a great day.

What software is used?
Protool.

Now the one thing i am not clear on, does the S5 CPU also get programmed with same cable as the OP25 or is that cable a different cable?
Depends on if you have a Siemens PG. If it is a regular PC, then it is a different cable again. On the OP25 there is an integral TTY interface. One cable with RS232/TTY converter is the 6ES5734-1BD00.
Not sure if that cable can be purchased today.
And finally what software would be recommended for programming the S5?
If you are buying new, then I would definitely go for IBH Softecs "S5 for Windows". The also have TTY cables, even with integral USB plug for current PCs.

Of course, all this is just an interim solution before doing the real upgrade, right ?
Dont accept the argument that there is no money to do an upgrade. It is hazard to keep running a vital plant or machine with an S5 PLC or an ancient Protool based HMI. The money you sink into keeping it running just a little longer is better spent on doing the real longterm upgrade.
There, I had to say it.

JesperMP thanks for the info.

The real reason I am asking such questions is indeed because of the potential for upgrade.

I received an upgraded Laptop, granted it only has XP Pro on it but it is far better than what we did have, which was a win95 laptop which was notorious for killing the battery. Right now I am going through and making sure we have all the software for all the various PLCs used in the plant. I am updating what needs to be updated and trying to make sure we have all backups and such. Figure while business is a little slow right now and I have a free moment to breath I will get this done.

The cables I am not sure if we have them or not. The software we have at least for the S5 is S5 version 7.11, which appears to be a dos based version of the software, and I am having one terrible time getting the thing to run on the XP laptop. So I figured maybe I needed to upgrade the software, that is if it does not cost an arm and a leg.

When I attempt to run the software on the XP machine it does go in to a DOS command type window, then comes up with the error message that HIMEM.SYS is either not loaded or you dont have enough XMS memory. When I drop to a dos prompt and do the MEM /c it shows that HIMEM is indeed loaded but it only shows that I have a total of about 1gig XMS, and from reading the help files it says that this software needs at least 2 gig XMS.

The laptop does indeed have 4 gig of memory on it. So it meets the requirements of what is listed in the hardware. The hardware list says at least a 486 or better 4 gig of memory 1 serial port 1 parallel port and I dont recall what else is listed but from what I can gather the hardware is met. So it has to be something with the software and I figured well maybe it is because the software is so old that is why it is not working with XP.

SO figured I would post on here, see what current versions are out there or now when someone reads this maybe they have a fix so I can get that piece of software functioning. And by reading about the types of cables I can do a more defined search and make sure whatever cables we have are indeed the correct cables.

Sorry so long in this post just had a lot to say.

The last version of STEP5 was 7.23 (I think !). And the update had to do with compatibility issues.
To update STEP5 will be more expensive than a full license for S5 for Windows. And that assumes you can purchase an update to STEP5 nowadays. I doubt it.

I would suggest to run your old STEP5 v7.11 in a Vmware, but I am not sure the online connection will work OK.

If you must program S5 then go have a look at this:
http://www.ibhsoftec.com/epages/63444704.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=34553958
and this:
http://www.ibhsoftec.com/epages/63444704.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63444704/Products/20220