Potentiometer signal conditioner recommendations

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi guys,

I have an application where I'd like to use a signal conditioner to convert a 10K sliding potentiometer (a Celesco CLP-200) signal into a 4-20 mA signal. The PLC input is an A-B 1734-IE2C.

My existing design uses an Action Instruments (owned by Eurotherm) model WV-438. On paper it's a good unit, but their new shipping policy is causing delays I can't accept.

I've looked at the Allen-Bradley 931S-P1C2D-DC unit as well as the Omega DRF-POT device.

Does anyone have recommendations on signal conditioners they've used with success ?

I use a Phoenix Contact MINI MCR-SL-R-UI-SP.
It scales automatically to 4-20mA. You can also adjust the scaling on the module, but I prefer to do the final scaling in the PLC program.
Only 6 mm wide. Has 3-way galwanic isolation.

Take look at this...

Ken,

A friend of mine is an app engineer that used to work at Action Instruments and now works for PR Electronics.

PR Electronics is superior to most other outfits and private labels to Emerson, Red Lion etc.

I couldn't reach him just now when I called but I think their 4116 is what you'd be after.

http://www.prelectronics.com/prefiles/4116/Datablad/4116uk.pdf

note--100's in stock in San Diego and about $250 out the door with display

**** the 4114 saves you a few more bucks over the 4116 as it omits the digital outputs

Last edited:
Like I said...

Bernie and BTalbot have found PR Electronics private labeled products at Red Lion and Automation Direct.

attachment.php

Excellent recommendations, guys. I appreciate it very much, including the build-your-own schematic !

I'm going to get one of the PR Electronics units on order right away.