internal relay

dion

Hi. I am working through the example on the plcs site, and have a bit of a problem understanding the example using the upper and lower level sensor. In the ladder diagram, should the a loadbar symbol not be used. Also, how can the internal relay(1000) be both a coil and a load. Also, why is one copy of the internal relay true while the other, false?

Thank you.

In the ladder diagram, should the a loadbar symbol not be used.
Do you mean a "/" to indicate a NC contact? No, not necessarily. It depends on the physical level sensor contacts, whether they are open or closed at any specified liquid level. We are told that the sensors are both Normally Closed on-the-shelf (not immersed in liquid). Therefore, Sensor 000 will be closed with an empty tank. To make the pump come on at the empty level, and then run until the High level is reached, all PLC instructions should appear as shown. At mid-level, the pump will be running, unless the PLC program is not started until the tank is at that level. If the program is started with the tank already at mid-level, the pump will not run until the level drops to Low.

It is dynamic system - the level changes, and the pump changes from off to on to off. To make a statement about a dynamic system, you first have to know the status of all the variables - what they are now, and what they were before now.
Also, how can the internal relay(1000) be both a coil and a load. Also, why is one copy of the internal relay true while the other, false?
This logic relay duplicates or simulates a physical relay, which has both a coil and 1 or more contacts (switches). In the diagram, "1000" with a circle under is the symbol for internal PLC relay coil number 1000, and 1000 with "| |" underneath is the symbol for a contact operated by relay coil 1000. I only see ONE copy of the internal relay "1000", not two copies as you assumed.

Last edited:
Hi. I am working through the example on the plcs site, and have a bit of a problem understanding the example using the upper and lower level sensor. In the ladder diagram, should the a loadbar symbol not be used. Also, how can the internal relay(1000) be both a coil and a load. Also, why is one copy of the internal relay true while the other, false?

Thank you.

Don't confuse the phyical level sensors with PLC logic instruction. Read the discription below again.

Here we have a need for 3 I/O (i.e. Inputs/Outputs). 2 are inputs (the sensors) and 1 is an output (the fill motor). Both of our inputs will be NC (normally closed) fiber-optic level sensors. When they are NOT immersed in liquid they will be ON. When they are immersed in liquid they will be OFF.

The internal register address "1000" is controlled by the instruction on the rung before it. It will hold a 1 or 0 ( on/off) depending on the rung conditions. That address can then be used any number of times though out the rest of the program and applied to a "load" "loadbar" instruction(s) at will.

edit: Lancie1 types faster then I do.

edit: Lancie1 types faster then I do.
Thanks to Mrs Butler, my high school Business Admin teacher. Then the electric typewriters were the wave of the future, and we thought we were working in "high cotton". I started the Gregg Shorthand course under Mrs. Butler also, but could not take the stress of being in a class with 30 girls. They would forget there was one guy in there and let their skirts (all skirts, no pants allowed) creep up during class (or so they said).

I am down to about quarter-speed due to Arthur Ritus.