Mitsubishi Q68DAIN Analog output mystery, Help!

sugarcane

I’ve got a problem and I’m stumped. Dealing with a Mitsubishi Q series. Q06H processor, two extension racks, a mix of I/O cards, GX-works2 software. The problem is with the analog output cards.

The analog output cards, both of them (model Q68DAIN), are giving me cropped outputs. The lowest point (should be 4mA) is 4.3mA on both cards, the high output (should be 20mA) is 13.0mA on one card, 9.0mA on the other card.

The weird part is up to the max output of 13 on one, 9 on the other, the mA almost matches what it should be (0-4000integer = 4-20mA)for the bottom half of the range, ie: 0 int gives us 4.3mA, 2000 int gives us 12.4ish (should be 12.0 mA), then anything above gets progressively closer to 13mA as a max, 4000 int gives us 13mA.

They worked fine the other day, only today they started giving us this problem, I am unsure when exactly during the day the issue started, but to note, we did have a power bump earlier in the day. So sometime after that. I wiped and formatted CPU, re-installed an earlier version. I am 100% convinced it is not the program or the switch settings in the software.

We replaced the backplane(Q612B), the extension rack's 5vdc power supply (Q61P) and both cards (Q68DAIN). Same problem. Nothing has changed in the field.

The Analog output cards require an external 24VDC source wired directly to the card, this 24VDC power supply also powers most of the instruments via loop power. The power supply is delivering the rated 24VDC.

I have disconnected all the instruments from the 24VDC, using the supply to power only the two analog output cards, disconnected all the analog output field wiring from the terminal strips and the problem still persists.

It seems the issue is not the PLC hardware (it has been replaced), it is not the field wiring, it is not the software or program. It seems issue is in the panel and the marshaling.

I am out of ideas. Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? or have any ideas where to point the finger?

*** one other thing to mention:

There is a debugging tool that allows you to view the buffer data from the analog output card, I can see that 4000 int is indeed being written into the buffer for the output. So it is definitely not a scaling issue from the software, nor an issue with the CPU's ability to write to the card. This, coupled with the problem persisting with brand new components in place, re-enforces that the software and hardware is operating as it should.

Last edited:
The Analog output cards require an external 24VDC source wired directly to the card, this 24VDC power supply also powers most of the instruments via loop power. The power supply is delivering the rated 24VDC.

I have disconnected all the instruments from the 24VDC, using the supply to power only the two analog output cards, disconnected all the analog output field wiring from the terminal strips and the problem still persists.

It seems the issue is not the PLC hardware (it has been replaced), it is not the field wiring, it is not the software or program. It seems issue is in the panel and the marshaling.

My suspicion would go to the grounding of 0V

Is 0V of the external and internal power supply put together and to grounding?

I hate it when something works, then quits for no reason. The hardest part is eliminating pre-concieved notions about what it can't be.

I can't give you a solution, but the technique for finding it involves bakcing the problem into a corner by rigoruously testing one item at a time.

Start by disconnecting everthing from the analog output card. (Except a power supply if it isn't powered from the rack.) You may need to create some temporary code so you can force the output to 4 mA, 12 mA, and 20 mA.

Use your meter to measure the current at the output screws at all three values.

Connect the wiring to the output, and disconnect it at the field terminal strip. Test.

Connect the field wiring but disconnect it at the field device. Test

Connect the field device. Test.

By now you should have located the problem, at least identifying the point of occurrence.

You could accomplish the same thing by using a 4-20 mA simulator and going through one item at a time. Again, the point is to start with a single item, verify it is good (or bad) and then add ONE item at a time to the testing.