open two SCL sources to compare revisions

dave_d

I am trying to compare the current version to an archived version of a block created in Siemens' SCL language.

My working project is in its own (non-default) directory. I am trying to open an older version by retrieving an archive into the usual \program files\siemens\step7 . . .
However when I try to open the second block - the older one from the archive having the same block number/source name, but in the different path/project name - it seems to think the source for this block is the one that is already open.

It also complains about timestamps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I applogize for slow responses in advance, I have a class this week and am squeezing in my 'day job' during breaks.

Are you opening the two different SCL sources from their sources folders? How are you intending to perform the comparison - by visual inspection?

It doesn't seem to matter if I try to open the block from the blocks part of the project or open the source, if I already have the 'other' source open it won't open, it just goes to the SCL editor and displays the block I already have open.

As for the compare, yes I was just going to go through and check, they should be nearly identical. I was just totally surprised by the behavior of the editor (OK, not that surprised - I get all kinds of strange things with this software).

Yes, I could (should?) export the source and compare in a better editor, but do you know if I should be able to open both blocks? Perhaps I have something set incorrectly.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I will work it external to the system.

Just one more item on the long list of broken things in the software.