Logix5000: Connect to v17 controller with v19?

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 1769-L35E controller that has firmware revision 17.2 on it, and I'm trying to go online with my v19 copy of Logix5000. I was told I needed the proper EDS files to access the old device, so I went into RSLinx and selected "Upload EDS file from device" and installed the EDS files from the controller. Logix5000 is still prompting me to update the firmware...is there anyway to connect to this guy or am I forced into updating the firmware?

In order to connect to a Rev.17 Firmware Logix CPU you will need RSLogix 5000 Rev.17; higher RSL5K revisions are not compatible with lower firmware revisions processors.
DO NOT UPGRADE THE CPU FIRMWARE UNLESS INTENDED!

You must have V17 on you computer or update firmware. This is true with all 5000 processors. You need same version as PLC from V10 thru V21.
Allen Bradley is not backwards compatible.

looks like dmargineau beat me to it.

make sure that you understand this ... if you upgrade the firmware - you'll lose/destroy/bomb whatever program is currently stored in the processor ...

do you have a valid UP-TO-DATE (really UP-TO-DATE) copy of the existing program file (.ACD) to download once the upgrade has been completed? ... make sure that you can OPEN that existing file with your Version 19 software ...

upgrading the firmware is basically like formating a hard drive ... kiss the program good-bye before you do this ...

Last edited: