Using a modem with a cqm1

ThomasOwenC

HI I'am seeking help on connecting my laptop to a cqm1 without a seial port I have tried a USB to seial cable but my usb quit working I do have a 14,400 aswell as a 56K modems ,that have worked with this plc over the phone years ago. but I now want to connect with just a phone cable between either modem and my laptop.

I believe you need a power source to fool the modems into 'thinking' that they are on a real line. I have a unit that I bought a couple years back, for sending files/faxes between computers without having to actually dial out.

It's powered by a 9V battery, and has a male and female RJ11 jack, and if you need, it can be loaned...

PM if you are in the GTA and want it.

As far as the non-serial laptops go, personally I just stick it out with the older laptops. Unless your playing the latest computer games buying an older used laptop might just be your answer. My latest model has a 500mhz cpu, and 3 gig drive. This works fine for PLC programming. These things go out into the field a lot and are subject to damage. I personally dont see the point in investing $2K in the latest and greatest laptop for use in the field.

Just my personal opinion...

Mike