Using prepaid SIM card for cell modem/VPN router

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Have anyone done this? I don't see why this wouldn't work but I may be missing something too.

Getting any recurring account opened is a pain here so I look on fleabay and there are many options like RedPacket where they have prepaid SIM for entire of service for something like $150 that include a gig of data for 12 months. Just pay once for a year of data service and be done with it.

Be sure to check with the ISP to see if they allow all the options that you are expecting to use. Some ISP's block certain ports, and some don't allow incoming traffic for Http/Https.

Just check with them up front?

Be sure to check if the cell modem supports the frequencies of the provider of the SIM you buy.

A lot of times a cell provider makes deals with manufacturers to limit the frequencies to only theirs which forces all users to use their service and other SIM cards will power up in the unit, but can't connect so it's then useless.

I have a couple of old phones and to avoid the constant No SIM Installed pop-up I bought $1 SIM cards at 7-11, but the first thing I had to do was check if that model of phone was compatible with their system. One was and runs ok (I didn't activate their service) while the other one wasn't compatible and gave more pop-ups until I removed it.

I looked into this I am considering it myself
it is my understanding they can't give you a perinate internet IP address on a prepaid card it must be a monthly account and if you stop it or pause it then you have to start over
A fixed perinate internet IP address is required for a VPN

I use solely secomea, but there are many other like E W O N. You can put the sim in sleep mode via a sms message to the sim number. And the same for waking it up. Then you wont incur any data usage when not needed

To connect as a client to a VPN server, you do not need a fixed IP, not even a public one.

Now some cellular providers assign you a private, non-public IP, such as 10.* and it also works

But the company's VPN server does need a public and known IP

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I'm thinking along the line of OpenVPN folks like E--- or Stridelinx in which case they are a outbound connection and no permanent IP is needed.

I can get a cheap prepaid card for $30 so I may start with that and see how it works out. I'll of course update this