PLC Lab Help

PLCPARTY

Hello guys, I've recently been taking multiple PLC classes. I've been having troubles with my recent lab, which I'm sure would be a piece of cake for seasoned programers! I was wondering if I posted it if anyone here could see if they could program it on logix controller? Our assignment is to program this by next week, and then in class we are going to hook it up! I've currently been using "logixpro" My lab is as follows:

Background

“New levees or other high-tech flood protection for New Orleans could cost at least $2.5 billion and take years to build, the head of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Thursday”

Due to the devastating flooding conditions experienced by several states, the Federal Government is investigating new ways to reduce or eliminate surge water and flooding from a breeched levee.

One solution suggests placing a partially open channel with flow directors at the base of the levee. The channel would run along the length of a levee with small pumping stations placed intermittently along the length of the channel.

One problem recently encounter was the use of a few large drainage pumps to eliminate flood waters. Unfortunately these few systems failed. The proposed solution would divide the pumping task up to smaller drainage cells.

Each drainage cell would include a pair of submersible turbine pumps. To ensure equal wear on the pumps an alternating pump control system will be used.

The drainage cell, in addition to two turbine pumps, will include three level sensors (Low, Mid, High) to determine the amount of run off collected and to determine pump usage. Each drainage cell has its own emergency back-up power if commercial power is lost.

Drainage System Design

The program is to meet the following requirements:
  1. Use the Low Level (LL) sensor to select the primary pump and back-up pump each time the cell is emptied. The LL sensor will not turn on either pump. Once the fluid level drops below the LL sensor; both pumps shall turn OFF.
  2. When fluid rises to the Mid-Level (ML) sensor, the primary pump will turn ON.
  3. If the fluid rises to the High Level (HL) sensor then both pumps will turn ON and remain ON until the fluid drops below the LL sensor.
  4. Include a START-STOP control using the MCR command.
  5. Use 24 V dc for sensor input and output.

Last edited:
One problem recently encounter was the use of a few large drainage pumps to eliminate flood waters. Unfortunately these few systems failed.
You can probably figure out why they failed by looking at the rust in this picture of one of the 4160 volt levee pumps.
I'm sure would be a piece of cake for seasoned programers!
Yep, all we need is an I/O list and a beginning program attempt from you. Start with the PLC part that does the work - the Outputs. Do you have to consider the black communications and float sensor cable that runs along below the 4160 volt supply line?

-

Levee Pump.JPG

Last edited:
You can probably figure out why they failed by looking at the rust in this picture of one of the 4160 volt levee pumps.Yep, all we need is an I/O list and a beginning program attempt from you. Start with the PLC part that does the work - the Outputs. Do you have to consider the black communications and float sensor cable that runs along below the 4160 volt supply line?
-

Ahh sorry for not being more clear, this is a scenario and I need to come up with a program for it on logixpro. And you want the starting attempt program that I've tried so far?

Ahh sorry for not being more clear, this is a scenario and I need to come up with a program for it on logixpro. And you want the starting attempt program that I've tried so far?

Yes nobody here will do the homework for you. they will however help you with problems so you need to attempt to write it first. and as lancie said start with the outputs first. which is at the very least the 2 pump motors.

you need a way to determine which pump ran last. which means you could use a counter... and you need to bypass the alternator selection part of the run with the highlevel sensor to kick both pumps on.

Yes, make a list of all you Inputs and Outputs (2 pump control PLC outputs) then assign each to one of your LogixPro Inputs or Outputs. Now you are ready to do get down to serious thinking. Did you have any instruction or demonstration of alternator circuits or flip-flops? That is the technique that you must use, filling in one of the traditional alternator methods with your own PLC inputs, internal relays, and outputs.