SLC-150 is obsolete, does that mean pending doom?

markk1pe

I work at Cape Canaveral in Florida on America's Space Program where we process satellites for launch in a facility that was built in the early 1980’s. 4 Demag cranes are in use in the facility and they have Allen Bradley SLC-150 PLCs. We maintain these cranes monthly and they have worked fine for years, no problems. They are in cleanroom environment, about 75 +/-3 degrees F 35 to 50% RH.
Recently we went to use one of the cranes and it would not respond to commands from the pendant. The troubleshooting tracked the problem to the SLC-150, which had a "PLC Fault" code. We swapped it with the PLC from another crane in the next bay over and were back in business.
We were aware of the 2002 announcement that the SLC-150 was obsolete so we had a spare one ready for just such a situation, but had to program it before we replaced it into the crane we took the other one from.
The electrical engineer that was assigned to determine the root cause of the failure theorized that the failure may have been due to leaky electrolytic capacitors. He stated that these capacitors are only reliable for 15 years or so and the current PLCs are unreliable. Mind you he did not find a “smoking gun”. He is proposing that we must upgrade to a more current PLC.
I'm all for modernization, but the cost for all 4 cranes is estimated at about $272,000! That's like 4 people's jobs out the door. We only have missions for this building four or so more years.
I feel like these PLCs were working fine up until now and we should stick with our plan to keep a programmed spare on the shelf and swap them out if another failure should occur. Now if frequent failures start occurring I'd say we need to upgrade. But this was only a 1 time occurrence, and the true root cause has not been determined.
The engineer insists the risk of failure is too high due to capacitor age and we should spend the $272,000 (jobs like that can double in costs when all is said and done). As you know all government contracts are looking to cut their budgets, not spend. I've seen capacitors that were 50 years old, I'm not convinced of the imminent failure.
The crane is fail safe; if you don't send a command the brake does not release. However, the load can be a multi-million or billion dollar satellite. Also, our company loses award fee if we miss a milestone.
The Allen Bradley web site says they don't support the SLC-150s anymore but that some parts may still be available. This seems to imply they are still viable, there is nothing that says the capacitors are doomed and failure is imminent.
Does anyone here have experience with these PLCs failing due to capacitor age? How hard would it be to change out all the capacitors in one SLC-150 to return its reliability?
What tests could be done to determine the health of the PLCs? Does anyone provide root cause failure analysis on these PLCs?

Last edited:
How hard would it be to change out all the capacitors in one SLC-150 to return its reliability?
Don't fix the SLC-150s. Replace them with new improved PLCs that will do the same job.

I'm all for modernization, but the cost for all 4 cranes is estimated at about $272,000!
The cost of 4 PLCs that would replace SLC 150's would be about $1400, plus labor and programming time, maybe $3000 total if you have an old printed copy of the programs, or if you simply have schematic diagrams of the crane logic. Heck, if you could post one of the old crane programs here, I am sure we would be honored to write you a new program in whatever PLC version you need, for free! Who wouldn't want to do this for NASA? What an honor! After all, the old SLC-150 was so small that duplicating any possible program should not be hard.

Of course, having once worked for NASA, I am not surprised that your cost/benefit ratio is about 100 to 1. I know that any contractor trying to do the work would have to jump through about $250,000 worth of "hoops" before actually doing any work. It ain't the NASA of 1950, that is for sure.

Last edited:
Why replace the crane just because the PLC is bad? If you have a copy of the program, convert in to a newer PLC program and just replace the PLC and I/O (Micrologix or controllogix). Either way I can't see that costing $272,000. Another option is to ask the manufacturer what (if anything) they can do for you.

Welcome to the Forum !

It sounds like Demag used the SLC-150 pretty extensively; There was another new Forum member asking a similar question recently:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=520604

I don't think it's practical to remove all the capacitors from working controllers and refresh them.

If this was my system, I would prepare a drop-in replacement control system using a modern controller (MicroLogix 1200 or 1500 would be my choice) and leave the rest of the cranes alone.

RA might be able to perform root-cause failure analysis on these controllers. Get in touch with your local RA office (I think the Orlando office serves the Space Coast) to find out.

In my opinion and experience, a controlled environment like yours is best for long capacitor lifetimes. Low humidity or high temperatures kill electrolytic capacitors, not just age.

I work at Cape Canaveral in Florida on America's Space Program where we process satellites for launch in a facility that was built in the early 1980’s. 4 Demag cranes are in use in the facility and they have Allen Bradley SLC-150 PLCs. We maintain these cranes monthly and they have worked fine for years, no problems. They are in cleanroom environment, about 75 +/-3 degrees F 35 to 50% RH.
Recently we went to use one of the cranes and it would not respond to commands from the pendant. The troubleshooting tracked the problem to the SLC-150, which had a "PLC Fault" code. We swapped it with the PLC from another crane in the next bay over and were back in business.
We were aware of the 2002 announcement that the SLC-150 was obsolete so we had a spare one ready for just such a situation, but had to program it before we replaced it into the crane we took the other one from.
The electrical engineer that was assigned to determine the root cause of the failure theorized that the failure may have been due to leaky electrolytic capacitors. He stated that these capacitors are only reliable for 15 years or so and the current PLCs are unreliable. Mind you he did not find a “smoking gun”. He is proposing that we must upgrade to a more current PLC.
I'm all for modernization, but the cost for all 4 cranes is estimated at about $272,000! That's like 4 people's jobs out the door. We only have missions for this building four or so more years.
I feel like these PLCs were working fine up until now and we should stick with our plan to keep a programmed spare on the shelf and swap them out if another failure should occur. Now if frequent failures start occurring I'd say we need to upgrade. But this was only a 1 time occurrence, and the true root cause has not been determined.
The engineer insists the risk of failure is too high due to capacitor age and we should spend the $272,000 (jobs like that can double in costs when all is said and done). As you know all government contracts are looking to cut their budgets, not spend. I've seen capacitors that were 50 years old, I'm not convinced of the imminent failure.
The crane is fail safe; if you don't send a command the brake does not release. However, the load can be a multi-million or billion dollar satellite. Also, our company loses award fee if we miss a milestone.
The Allen Bradley web site says they don't support the SLC-150s anymore but that some parts may still be available. This seems to imply they are still viable, there is nothing that says the capacitors are doomed and failure is imminent.
Does anyone here have experience with these PLCs failing due to capacitor age? How hard would it be to change out all the capacitors in one SLC-150 to return its reliability?
What tests could be done to determine the health of the PLCs? Does anyone provide root cause failure analysis on these PLCs?

I would gladly take the job of replacing the SLC 150s for 2% of the cost the engineer says it will cost to replace them. Please send PO!

Do you still have the hand held programmer? As long as you can still program them or make changes you should be fine. The price for a upgrade seems to high to me. A micro logic 1200 cost around $800 to $1000. The plc along with an cabinet and some components
Shouldn't set you back no more than $5000. That is on the high side

The $272,000 estimate is from the A-B authorized rep in the area and includes replacement of the entire control system, not just the PLC. The other items that interface with the PLC have to be replaced, such as the Expansion Unit, 2 High Speed Inout Modules, Power Supply, Barrier Relay, Load Detector Relay, etc. Programs have to be converted and tested, training provided, etc. That's about $68,000 per crane. This requires a class 1 division 2 explosion proof environment.
I agree the cost seems high, but that is what the Allen Bradley Rep quoted for Contrologix PLCs. The electrical Engineer estimated $1000 per point with 48 points and got $48,000 per crane.

Last edited:
The other items that interface with the PLC have to be replaced, such as the Expansion Unit, 2 High Speed Inout Modules, Power Supply, Barrier Relay, Load Detector Relay, etc.
With a newer PLC, you would not need a lot of that stuff, such as the High Speed modules, and you can get a PLC with enough I/O without an expansion module, and also built-in High-speed Inputs. I don't know the purpose of the Barrier Relay or Load Detector, but if those are still usable, maybe they don't need replacing at all, but just a new PLC selected that can work with them. Many PLCs now have a built-in power supply, and if the old power supply was for supplying the exteranl devices, it could probably be reused.

Looking at the old SLC-150 with Expansion Module, you have 40 discrete digital inputs, and 24 digital Outputs. The Allen Bradly MicroLogix 1200 with one expansion module would easily replace that, with 4 built-in high-speed inputs. I assume that the SLC-150s were all 120 VAC I/O?

Of course, the goal may be to do a crane general electrical upgrade, and that is a different, more expensive ball game than just replacing the PLCs.

Last edited:
Do you still have the hand held programmer? As long as you can still program them or make changes you should be fine. ...

We have an interface cable and a DOS capable computer and the program to interface with the SLC-150, but I'm looking for some technical response to the claim that the electrolytic capacitors are not reliable anymore or management and our customer will insist that the PLCs be replaced.

In addition, if these capacitors are no longer reliable, we have to look at all systems that have capacitors over 15 years old, where does it end...

Last edited:
The $272,000 estimate is from the A-B authorized rep in the area and includes replacement of the entire control system, not just the PLC. The other items that interface with the PLC have to be replaced, such as the Expansion Unit, 2 High Speed Inout Modules, Power Supply, Barrier Relay, Load Detector Relay, etc. Programs have to be converted and tested, training provided, etc. That's about $68,000 per crane. This requires a class 1 division 2 explosion proof environment.
I agree the cost seems high, but that is what the Allen Bradley Rep quoted for Contrologix PLCs. The electrical Engineer estimated $1000 per point with 48 points and got $48,000 per crane.

AB quoted using ControlLogix to replace a SLC150??????
Hmmm....My BMW 321 does not work, so I have to buy an M6 to replace it?

Welcome to the Forum !

It sounds like Demag used the SLC-150 pretty extensively; ....

Yes they did, so you'd think they would have an upgrade already designed and ready to sell, but when I contacted them they were not aware of any concern with the SLC-150 and don't offer any upgrade for the cranes.

AB quoted using ControlLogix to replace a SLC150??????

Keep in mind this is not directly Allen Bradley, just the Authorized Service/Dealer in Central Florida (I'm sure there could be a profit motive involved). They are proposing the use of Allen-Bradley ControlLogix Hardware (1756-IF6I, -OF6CI, -IB/6I, -OW16I; Controller 1756-L55 ControlLogix 5555) and Support Accessories.

The work has to be done by an Allen-Bradley certified installer. There is a need to perform compatible development/translation of existing PLC code and follow-on Acceptance Testing. And I suppose the cost would include RSLogix 5000 software and an interface device.

Obviously I'm not a PLC expert, I'm just a Crane guy, that's why I found this forum, I was trying to learn more about it. But I overheard some discussion that the programming used by DEMAG (Germany) was complex and got more out of the SLC-150 than what could normally be done by the average programmer.

Also we are operating in a Cleanroom that needs an Explosion Proof system (those satellites have some nasty hypergolics in them, very explosive if they leak) and we are looking for high reliability. The existing SLC-150s are already proven, but when we propose a replacement it has to be good.

Last edited:
My experience with electrolytic capacitors is that they do go bad after some years. I used to work on old tube radios and TVs, and an easy fix to clear up static on the unit was to replace certain capacitors. That is fairly common knowledge, but the failure time is not very predictable. Some old antique radios still work after 50 years. A capacitor is a roll of two layers of foil separated by an insulator. The insulator will get fragile with time and charging current in the capacitor. The insulator will develop leaks or holes that allow the capacitor voltage to bleed down, and the capacitor will not hold tje charge high enough, much like a bad vehicle battery.

But I overheard some discussion that the programming used by DEMAG (Germany) was complex and got more out of the SLC-150 than what could normally be done by the average programmer.
Yes, indeed! :oops:

I worked for a small engineering and construction firm for awhile. The boss and owner needed an overhead crane for the shop. We bought an old 10-ton 1940's version, and he told me to redo all the electrical and my budget was $0 - find cheap used replacements for all controls, and HE would buy them, if acceptable. We did input multiplexing to use the inputs for more than one function. I doubt DEMAG did any better with their little SLC150. I know that old shop crane is still running.

Last edited:
Looking at the old SLC-150 with Expansion Module, you have ONLY 40 discrete digital inputs, and 24 digital Outputs (no analog I/O at all). The Allen Bradly MicroLogix 1200 with one expansion module would easily replace that, including the 4 built-in high-speed inputs for no extra cost.

I assume that the SLC-150s were all 120 VAC I/O? They probably had interpsoing relays to protect the PLC outputs from high currents (those "Barrier Relays"). You can probably reuse those.

Knowing the voltage level of your Inputs and Outputs, there are many here who can recommend a much cheaper replacement PLC for your Allen Bradley SLC-150's with Expansion Units.

Here is some information on the Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1200.
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/MicroLogix-1200#/tab5

Last edited: