Copy Target From Project to Project

R.Mc

I'am trying to copy a Machine Edition Traget that is in a project on one computer. To add it to another project that has other targets on a different computer. Projects have different names. What to do?

First use Factorytalk Application Manager to make a 'Backup' (APA) of the project. The APA file can then be brought to the other computer and 'Restored'. But that just makes a copy on the other computer.

In the help file read about Exporting and Importing displays. This may be the only way to do any kind of 'merging' of projects. We'll see if anyone else has hints.

----------------

Reading your question again you use the word 'Target'. Are you refering to the 'link'?

Welcome to the Forum !

What exactly do you mean by "Target" ?

If you're talking about a Communications Shortcut definition in RSLinx Enterprise, it is easiest to just write down the addresses involved and re-create it by hand on the other computer.

Unlike Displays (*.GFX) or other objects in FactoryTalk View, communications shortcuts aren't objects that can be transported from one FactoryTalk project to another.

Open your project and export both your hardware and program blocks. Open the target project and add a new target and them import the hardware config and the program blocks. I think that should do it.

In GE Proficy Machine Edition you can rename projects by doing a "save as" AND targets can just be "renamed".
So, you want to do a backup of the project that is currently downloaded and restore to the other PCs.
The targets should not have different names though...this will confuse what was edited and downloaded last.
Whichever PC you do a "download to PLC" from last.....you will have to make another backup and move to the other PC if you want to monitor and/or edit logic from that PC.

Last edited: