Is RSLogix5 professional a free download?

narky

Hi, I'm fairly new to plc. We're using micrologix at school but I like to setup plc-5 at home for self study. My question is where can I get the software? Is this free download like micro version? Thanks.

AFAIK, its not free software.

I wouldn't recommend spending much time learning this software/PLC platform as it is much older technology, unless you are certain that your job/plant uses this equipment.

Any new installation should be done with Compactlogix/Contrologix if using A-B equipment

Are your guys talking about 5000 series, RSLogix5000? Is there much coding structure different? My school only cover micro, slc and plc stuff. I don't think I could afford 5000 series for self study.

You said RSlogix5 and PLC-5 which is an older systems being phased out by most companies.

The Logix 50000 (ControlLogix and CompactLogix) is the system to which most people are migrating, but there is no free software so the cost for a training platform is a high entry barrier.

The MicroLogix controller and the RSLogix Micro software is still a very good platform on which to learn. Lots of people are using them and the basics translate to the 5000. Best of all, the cost is very low. The software is free and you can pick up MicroLogix controllers on the cheap.

If you can get someone to pay the cost of the 5000 software and a piece of hardware then definitely go for it. If not, stick with the Micro.

OG