SLC Module - 1747-M13

Leeroy

Right now I'm looking at adding extra memory to a SLC 5/03 (1747-532) plc we have. What I need more memory for is recipes for data. I came across the 1747-M13 and am wondering if this could work for me. I'm not sure if it can because from what I have read about it, I don't belive you can update this memory while the PLC is in run mode which I don't want, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

My question is could I use this module store the extra data? I know I could upgrade the processor to the 532 (32k) but that still isn't enough.

Also, is there any other way of doing this? I know a more advanced way would be to store the information on our network server and using a database, but am wondering if there is something else out there I could do.

Leeroy,

from what i read about the module, this is an eprom module to store the program, not additional cpu memory. i may be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me if i am.

goto the ab website and search for that pert number.

regards,
james

James,

After looking at the ab website, yes you are right on storing the program. Since it's an eprom module, I think I was right about writing to it while the PLC is running.

Edit: I think I'll do just that Ken, we already have one way in mind.

Last edited:
James is right; those are nonvolatile storage, not memory expansion. In general, most PLCs have a fixed amount of onboard memory.

Your instinct to save recipe data on an external computer is, I think the right one. There are dozens of HMI and database connectivity programs that support A-B controllers. If you're interested in investigating that here on the Forum, go ahead and start a new thread and post some information about your recipe and HMI needs.