Quad Encoder to Ethernet/IP module?

Paul351W

Does anyone know if any companies make a module to read quadrature encoder signals and provide feedback over Ethernet/IP? I have an application where I would like to read 2 existing speed sensors with a 5v pulse train, and keep the encoder signal wires short. The PLC is not close to the sensors, and the remote rack that is close does not have any room to install HSC cards.

Is there a module that I could connect to the encoder signal and wire to my ethernet switch?

Note: I cannot change the encoder sensor, so an Ethernet based encoder will not work.

I have not looked into those much yet, any idea on the performance difference between a Point I/O VHSC and a 1756-HSC card? I will be using the modules to calculate speed and direction in order to control shaft speed using a drive in torque control, so I would want the feedback to be pretty fast.

I doubt that you will get feedback fast enough over any Ethernet link to close the speed loop on a torque controlled drive. If you actually need to do that, I'd go ahead and see if you can use something like an Ethernet motion controller locally to handle closing the loop. Then just send it commands.

A single axis controller like the Delta RMC-70E would be a reasonably priced possibility.

I have never worked with any Delta products, and due to the timeframe of this project I was hoping to go with a stand alone signal converter type module that would not require much if any configuration, or AB products.

The commands and feedback to/from the drive are through CAN, so that communication rate will likely be my main limitation. I think I should be able to control the system via ethernet communication, it may just be limited in how aggressive I can be with the speed control gains.

I may have to do some more digging on the Point I/O module vs a Flex I/O module setup.

Encoders normally need to go into high speed counter modules - Ethernet will almost certainly be too slow. EtherCat MAY cope though - you would have to have a good look at the application. Also 5V is TTL level. May be an issue also.

Silly Question - not sure of the makeup of the I/O on your remote rack but have you considered the possibility of re-locating std I/O (digital or analogue) to the remote bus and making room to put a HSC card on the remote rack?