Quad Encoder Testing

Tim Ganz

OT: What is the proer way to connect a quadrature encoder to a oscilloscope for testing.

This is a 2 trace scope. We are not using the z channel of the encoder.

Would it be a+ / a- on one trace and b+ / b- to the second trace. Would the a- and b- go to the ground clip of the probe of each trace?

Yes to everything you said. The range totally depends on how fast you are turning the encoder and so is impossible to answer.

Bryan

Encoder is 1024 PPR. I don't know how many pul;ses we may want to see on the scope. What would be a good number for troubleshooting? How many would you need to see on the screen to get a consistant reading?

Sorry if my questions are so out there. I was a maintenance mechanic for many years but my company shutdown so the job i have now you have to do electrical and i am struggling to learn it all.

1024pulses x 1750rpm = 1792000pulses/minute / 60 = 29866.67 pulses/second, or a pulse width of ~1/30000 second. If you set up each division to be 1/100,000 second, the pulses will be about 3 divisions wide.

I normally make sure I set up the voltage correct, and then start turning the knobs until the picture looks good, then I look at the settings to see what I did.
:)