E+H Promass 80E integrated with 1756-HSC

klcurt2

I am planning to install an Endress+Hauser Promass 80E mass flowmeter, and use the pulse output to measure flow. I am planning on using a 1756-HSC to count the pulses from the flowmeter.

I have a L55 processor (version 11), and I have already installed and configured the 1756-HSC card over the weekend.

In reading the manuals for the Promass 80E and the 1756-HSC card, I am not 100% sure how to complete the wiring.

I am confident that I should land the wires on terminals 24 and 25 of the flowmeter as stated on page 11 (top) of this manual: https://portal.endress.com/wa001/dla/5000000/0221/000/05/TI00061DEN_1311.pdf

However, I am not completely sure about which terminals I should land to on the 1756-HSC.

I have looked at the manual, and feel that I should land on terminals 14 and 18 as illustrated on page 48 of the following manual: https://portal.endress.com/wa001/dla/5000000/0221/000/05/TI00061DEN_1311.pdf

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of application, and can help me determine the proper way to wire this application.

I plan on calling E+H tech support as well as AB Tech Connect tomorrow, but thought I would give this forum a shot.

Thanks,

KC

We are installing one, too.
On the inside of the cover of the wire access should be a chart that will show the configuration. It will show terminals and whether it is active or passive. Both of our meters were terminal 24 and 25 and passive. I am using a 1756-CFM card rather than the HSC.
We ended up needing a resistor in series with the input. We were getting way more pulses than the meter sent. E&H recommended trying it after a wasted day.
BTW ... password on the meter should be "80" (model number)

I work with the 83F meters all the time in Petroleum Measurement. Like 1MoCast said you can get the terminals from the inside of the cover. If your meter has the display you can go to the program and go to the frequency output and then go to information and that will also show you the terminals.

On the 83F you can select Passive or Active for the frequency output and the analog output in the software. I think the 80's are the same but I would double check. We use Active most of the time and run the pulses into the HSC of a MicroLogix 1100. Works like a champ. You should have the same results with the CLX hardware too.

Let us know how it works for you.

Chris

Not sure if this may be an option but…. I recently installed a ProMass 83 which we purchased with Ethernet IP. E&H has an add-on profile for Logix that allowed integration directly into my controller. No need for counter and other complications. Just a thought. If you are interested I can post more details.

I am planning to install an Endress+Hauser Promass 80E mass flowmeter, and use the pulse output to measure flow. I am planning on using a 1756-HSC to count the pulses from the flowmeter.

I have a L55 processor (version 11), and I have already installed and configured the 1756-HSC card over the weekend.

In reading the manuals for the Promass 80E and the 1756-HSC card, I am not 100% sure how to complete the wiring.

I am confident that I should land the wires on terminals 24 and 25 of the flowmeter as stated on page 11 (top) of this manual: https://portal.endress.com/wa001/dla/5000000/0221/000/05/TI00061DEN_1311.pdf

However, I am not completely sure about which terminals I should land to on the 1756-HSC.

I have looked at the manual, and feel that I should land on terminals 14 and 18 as illustrated on page 48 of the following manual: https://portal.endress.com/wa001/dla/5000000/0221/000/05/TI00061DEN_1311.pdf

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of application, and can help me determine the proper way to wire this application.

I plan on calling E+H tech support as well as AB Tech Connect tomorrow, but thought I would give this forum a shot.

Thanks,

KC

What sort of flowrate are you looking at to warrant using a high speed input card?
How many pulses per second at your scaled flowrate do you think there will be?
I have always used standard PLC inputs for these flowmeters.